Friday, September 14, 2012

Perfectly Designed

Today, I sit quietly in a silent house. All my boys are still sound in slumber and Reagan has left for work. I am enjoying some of the cooler weather that has first come into our area signaling that fall is just around the corner. These moments allow me the opportunity to ponder and consider things.

I love my boys. They make me laugh out loud in joy at their humor, thoughts and comments. They, too, can move me to tears and prayers as well. I give so much of myself to their needs, cares, and longings. Often at the end of the day my energy is tapped, my mind exhausted, and my patience has run out. Why have children who require so much? I think we wanted to experience the miracle that happens within when God forms life- to witness the ongoing miracle of God using us to shape these future men of God. Recently, in the midst of a particularly bad day with one of my sons, a friend reminded me that I was designed to be the parent of that child. She encouraged me by stressing that I possessed all that is needed to help him grow into maturity through my perfect Father. What an incredible thought- every child that God gives you was perfectly designed for you just as you were perfectly designed to be his/her mother. God never does anything halfway my friend!

Today, as I read a devotion I thought about why God chose to create man. I think it is so similar to our reasoning for having children- for the joy in the relationship. We are not easy on Him. We sin and rebel against His plans, but when we turn to Him in repentance and praise Him for all that He is and has done for us, we give Him joy. He designed us to remain close to Him. This is for our protection as well as for receiving His blessings in our lives. We were created to have a daily relationship with Him through Christ on order to bring glory and joy to Him. That realization is so humbling and beautiful to me.

He wants fellowship with me- this rebellious soul that too often fails. He wants my thoughts to be His thoughts. My conversation to be sprinkled with love and honor of my Savior. He wants my hand to ever be in His so that no trial, task or need is ever met in my own strength, but through the never ending power He alone possesses. He wants me to want Him- all of Him- daily and moment by moment.

"And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect." (Romans 12:1, 2 NLT)

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God.
They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!" (Psalm 139:13-18 NLT)

My friend, wherever you are in life you possess all you need for the tasks at hand. You just need to stay close to the Father through your Christ-given relationship. He longs for you to stay close to Him and savor His presence. That gives Him joy and honor and it is your divinely designed calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment