Thursday, September 6, 2012

Empty Houses

Oh my friends, how I have missed writing and sharing with you in the past few days.  Life has flown by at full throttle and become a blur.  We were blessed with time to visit with family while camping (without wasps) and to just be and rest with our loved ones.  There have been moments of tears and challenges as well too.  Through it all - laughter and tears- God heals, restores and is ever faithful.

This weekend on our travels we passed several homes that were boarded up and no longer in use.  Some of these homes were beautifully crafted and must have been magnificent at one time.  As I reflected on their grown up weeds, boarded doors and windows, I felt a little sadness.  I wondered on what they looked like before cobwebs took over and about the families that once lived there.  What stories could those homes share?  What events did they witness?  Did a groom carry his bride over the threshold?  Did a mother rock her newborn baby in the middle of the night by that window wondering when sleep would come? 

I think the thing that made me the saddest was the realization that these beautiful homes were wasting away to be of no use to anyone any longer.  It seems like such a waste... rooms filled with emptiness and dust that could be filled with life and laughter.  Rooms that could still hold a new couple starting a family as well as the first cries of a newborn baby.  Rooms that could still bring shelter and support to the family within.  Rooms that would have many more stories to tell had the boards not been put up where the weeds grew instead of children. 

How many people do I know that are boarded up and abandoned for future use?  Did the boards began to cover the door to their heart when dreams were shattered and all seemed hopeless?  Did they give up on living when forgiveness and hurt seemed to hollow out their heart?  When did hope become an illusion and emptiness a constant companion?  When did it become easier to give up on living rather than fighting for a future?

We live in a world of boarded -up, empty people.  They need hope.  They need love.  They need healing.   They need Christ.   Some, who profess Christ,  need to know that God is never finished with them until the day He calls each believer home.  Our God does not want empty people- He wants individuals who are fill to the brim with Him and His plan for their life.  He wants them overflowing with such love that it spills over and brings healing, joy and love to those around us.  We are to be different because we have life and love within. 

I had to ponder where am I in this?  How is my heart condition?  Am I full and overflowing or am I lacking?  I am realizing that I must be on guard against the sin that so easily entangles as well as quick to confess when I have wronged God and others lest the emptiness starts to overtake when unforgiveness grows.  I want life to grow within my heart- not weeds of heartache and hopelessness.  God heals.  God uses.  God is never finished with me until the day my last breath is drawn.  God gives purpose and hope.  My friend, where are you?  No matter where you are- you are only a breath away from living life as Christ, our redeemer, awaits your beckoning.  His purpose is to give you the relationship with the Father that supplies your every need toward restoration.  If you are part of the redeemed of Christ, you are still only breath away from healing and restored purpose.  What future is boarded up within your heart?   What dust and cobwebs have replaced life and joy within?  God wants so much more for you, but I guess the question is.... do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment