Monday, September 17, 2012

Praising Jesus

Our church will about once a quarter have a praise and worship service where we just spend an extended time singing to our King as well as times of testimony, scripture reading and extended prayer. I love our Sunday services together, but these services are something so special to my thirsty soul. I think part of it stems from my love of music and how it stirs my heart and soul to awe in my glorious King. Plus, these services reflect the beauty of a church united in praising the Savior they love- hymns and praise songs alike.

Last night when we came home from the service we were trying to eat a quick dinner and get to bed. As I was preparing the dinner, I heard something from the dining room table. I looked over to see my two year old with his hands lifted high singing, "Jesus! Jesus! Jesus!" over and over. I just melted. I was able to catch a few brief moments of it on video.

This brought to my mind the verses our pastor read last night from Psalm 40.

"I waited patiently for the LORD to help me,
and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair,
out of the mud and the mire.
He set my feet on solid ground
and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
They will put their trust in the LORD. Oh, the joys of those who trust the LORD,
who have no confidence in the proud
or in those who worship idols. O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us.
Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
You have no equal.
If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
I would never come to the end of them." (Psalm 40:1-5 NLT)

As I thought through this passage, God has helped me through so many trials and difficult times. Each time He has given me a new song of testimony and praise for His mighty works in my life. I think He is constantly working in us as we walk climb difficult paths to give new spiritual markers of our growth in Him. No matter where we are today, He is still ready to give us a new song to share with the world of who He is and all He has done for us.

I loved that Kendall found a new song last night. He is learning about Jesus and singing of that growing love the only way he knows how. It was simple. It was genuine. It was convicting- do I share what God is doing in my life with others? Do I listen to the fresh, new melody God is growing within my soul? What is He doing in my life right now? What new paths are we traveling lately?

My friend your song can be as simple as Kendall's praise by just crying out to your Savior. Let us ever be aware of what He is doing in our life and how He is growing and maturing our faith. Let us sing- sing a new song- of His works within our mind, heart and soul!!! Let me never stop searching for the new song He wants me to sing...


No comments:

Post a Comment