Friday, September 7, 2012

God, Make Me Uncomfortable

One of the big moments in a toddlers life is when he or she begins potty training. Since Kendall turned two I have began talking to him about underwear and a future minus diapers. Now, call me lazy or an experienced mom of three- I have opted to wait and not force the issue with Kendall. With my first child I decided one morning that we were just going to start going potty that day and I forced the issue. I cleaned up many accidents that day despite my taking him every 15 minutes to the potty. I came to the conclusion that I would rather wait until he initiated the change then spend all my time cleaning up after him. Lately, Kendall has began to talk about going potty and even gave it a shot a couple of times. He has also started feeling more uncomfortable in a wet diaper. He has even started bringing me a diaper, laying down in front of me until I notice and change him. He greeted me this morning with the request for a fresh diaper. I think we are getting close! I am having to wait until he is so tired of that uncomfortable feeling that he is willing to make the change.

This morning, I realized that I want to be so uncomfortable with sin that I desire change. I hope that God will grow such a sensitivity in my spirit that that I feel extreme discomfort when I begin to stray from God's will for my life.

Recently, a good friend of mine brought to my attention that I had sinned against her. Through a heart wrenching and God healing two hour conversation we both realized that miscommunications had deeply hurt our friendship. I also saw that pride was a factor as well. In the days since, I have been more focused and attentive to my responses to others.

Think carefully about what is right, and stop sinning. For to your shame I say that some of you don’t know God at all. (1 Corinthians 15:34 NLT)

Finally, I confessed all my sins to you
and stopped trying to hide my guilt.
I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the LORD.”
And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.
Interlude (Psalm 32:5 NLT)

So let us stop going over the basic teachings about Christ again and again. Let us go on instead and become mature in our understanding. Surely we don’t need to start again with the fundamental importance of repenting from evil deeds and placing our faith in God. (Hebrews 6:1 NLT)

Father, I do not want to keep battling the same old sins!! I want to learn from my mistakes, grow in maturity, and become more reflective of the Savior I love. I want to feel uncomfortable-nay, miserable when I step into an area of sin that I need to flee from. I want this so I can grow, learn and mature in my faith.

My friend no matter where we are in our faith- there is room for growth and maturity. We all deal with sin that we must keep in check. Let us not grow weary in our efforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment