Friday, September 21, 2012

Strong Tower

Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed by needs.  Needs of this world that seems to turn it's back on our precious Savior.  Needs of my family that are a constant- even just the daily tasks become exhausting at times- laundry, meals, correction of children, and such.  Needs of others that burden my heart to tears.  I think most of us find ourselves in the midst of needs..... the goal becomes contentment, peace, trust and provision.

Where do you run when you find yourself in a state of need?  Where do you find shelter?

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe."  Proverbs 18:10

I have often ran in my times of need to the Savior.  He has withdrawn me from the pit of countless struggles and battles, but running to the name of the Lord?  Max Lucado in his book, Grace for the Moment, discusses the names of the Lord.  God is always Jehovah, but He often refers to Himself in the following aspects:

Jehovah-raah- our caring shepherd who gives wisdom.
Jehovah-jireh- our provider for all needs.
Jehovah-shalom-our peace despite all circumstances.
Jehovah-rophe-our healer of all illness: physical, mental, emotional.
Jehovah-nissi- our banner and refuge against attacks from the evil one.

As I thought about these names, I realized that calling on the name of God is like running into the very essence of His character and being.  It is being so encompassed by His absolute character to the point that the struggles of this world cannot affect us.  This brought such a deeper intimacy in prayer time today as I called on the specific name of my Lord for the individual needs that were on my heart.  The wonderful part of God is that He has a name for all needs- His character is complete and all sufficient for any need.  He indeed is a strongtower that is fully capable of saving you from any struggle.  My lips can't help but praise Him!  My heart can't help but long for His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment