Thursday, September 27, 2012

Silent Lessons

Silence. You either love it or hate it. Sometimes, your response is dependent on the stage of life you are walking through at a given time. I love my crazy (and sometimes loud) family life. I realize that the volume of our house means that it is full of life and activity. Dirty dishes being washed in the dishwasher means that we were blessed with a full table and matching stomachs. The washer spinning the clothes loudly and dryer running at top speed indicates we have plenty of clothes to wear. We are blessed. I hear the blessings in my world and I have to overflow my praise and thanks to the Father from my heart for all that He gives and provides.

Still... There are times when my soul, mind, and heart need a little silence. Time to sit in the quiet of still house and just listen. Listen to the words of my Father. Listen to praise flowing from the lips of fellow believers- speaking the words of my reflective heart. Listen to the response of my Savior as I plead my desperate cries to His loving ears. Silence.

In the past several days God has just had me be still and silent. Listening, crying, praising, praying and above all else seeking.... Seeking His words . Seeking His peace and overflowing love. Seeking what He needed to teach me. I did not feel as though I was to write or express words in the last days, but to just seek.

Many revelations regarding our relationship became clear and I see how I have grown closer to my children and husband in the days of just learning and listening. It seems that when I draw closer to the Father, all my other relationships improve as well- perhaps because my love for my family becomes an outpouring of the love I have for Christ and not something I am attempting from my own strength.

How do you feel about silence? Do you despise it and just fill your every waking moment with activity and chaos? Is this because you have hurts and needs that linger to close to the surface? Do you long for some silence in your world, but haven't carved it out for yourself?

My friend, sometimes a thirsty soul just needs to take a long quiet drink of renewal and refreshment from the Father. Such moments of healing and teaching can best be heard in the silence of His heart speaking to yours. Can you hear Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment