Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Seasons of Parenting

The season of fall is coming near.  The air becomes crisp and cool and new, brillant colors begin to dot our landscape.  I become inspired during this time of year to bake, decorate and focus more on our family.  I love fall- there is just something about this time of year that stirs my soul.

Our oldest son is entering the fall of his time with us.  He is growing maturing and nearing the age when he will be on his own.  His perspectives and thoughts are as refreshing as the crisp, cool air outside and his dreams are as beautiful as the rainbow of colors on the horizon.  He, too, inspires me to make the most of our time together as I realize just how fleeting the moments are that we have left as a complete and whole family. 

Recently, he asked if he could go and visit with some of the kids on our street as he has been burdened and praying for them.  I felt such a since of pride at this young man who truly has a calling to minister and share God's truth with others.  I also felt shame at my immediate fears- what will their parents' think?  Why can't I be that bold in sharing my faith?

To be honest, this summer has been rough for Caleb.  He is struggling to find his place as he wants to be a teenager but also still longs for childhood.  He wants to fit in with his world, but this is quite a challenge as he is incredibly small for his age.  We have prayed, talked and cried with him and for him many times this summer.  I know just this is just part of the journey- just as the fall leaves must go through hard seasons to develop the most brilliant colors.

I am learning and growing in this area of parenting. I want to savor all the different seasons with each of my sons realizing that the seasons change so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment