Monday, November 12, 2012

Clean Filters

I have said this before, but I have a love hate relationship with cleaning. I love having a clean house, but it seems like a never ending process when we homeschool and are here all day. Last week, I was cleaning the house for a gathering we were having in our home and the vacuum just didn't seem to be working correctly.

I just bought this vacuum a few months ago, and it is my first bag less one to own. I had been faithful about dumping the container that held the dirt and debris, but it finally hit me that I had never cleaned the filter. Once I emptied it and washed the filter, I was amazed at the difference in the machine. It functioned and did it's job so well! It just needed a clean filter!

While I vacuumed, I thought about my own life. It seems that my conscious is the filter to my heart, mind, and soul. When I knowingly sin or disobey the Father, my filter begins to clog with guilt and fear. As a result, I am unable to do what I am called to do as effectively - just like my vacuum. Once I repent, confess and make changes in my life; the filter is clean and I am able to better fulfill God's purpose and plan for my life.

Read the following from King David after he had struggled with an illicit relationship with Bathsheba that ultimately led to murder. That is the thing with sin- it can start so small, but when your filter gets clogged, you will do things that will baffle you later.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you. Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise." (Psalm 51:10-17 NIV)

David could not fulfill the purpose God had for him because he was so entrenched in all the lies, sin and attempts to hide his actions. Only with repentance and restoration was he able to return to God's plan for his life.

My friend, does your filter need a cleaning? All God wants is a broken and contrite heart that he can restore to the purpose He designed.

No comments:

Post a Comment