Monday, November 5, 2012

Weighed Down

Last night we arrived home from a long weekend trip as a family. Over the summer we were unable to go on a vacation due to several factors and we decided to take a fall getaway with just our boys.

It was a fun time mainly because we had some extended time together as a family. I loved it- but, I am so weary today from it all. Several times I found myself carrying bags, my purse, Kendall or a combination of the three. On one of the tours, I carried Kendall, my purse and his backpack up three flights of stairs. Now, I am in decent shape, but carrying all that extra weight killed my arms and back. Thankfully, Reagan helped ease my burden... And there was such relief when the weight was lifted off of me!

My friend, I have been guilty of carrying the weight of unforgiveness, a need to control, anger, past hurts and jealousy. Those weights brought such pain into my world as I carried them with me wherever I went.... by my choice. Christ continually offered to remove the overwhelming burden, but I refused. Why? Sometimes it was my need to have control. Sometimes it was my longing to be recognized and appreciated. Sometimes it was just a stubborn heart that did not want to show a weakness. So I struggled weighed down by my own sin and when I finally fell under the weight of it all, Christ gently lifted them off my heart and brought the relief I so desperately needed.

David once wrote... "My guilt overwhelms me—
it is a burden too heavy to bear... I am exhausted and completely crushed.
My groans come from an anguished heart. You know what I long for, Lord;
you hear my every sigh. "(Psalm 38:4, 8, 9 NLT)

Yet, God promises to bear our burdens for us if we will give them up to Him and trust Him to work things out for our good. He only asks that we seek after Him- His knowledge, His heart- and follow Him in obedience.

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT)

My friend, are you breaking under the weight of things you were never meant to bear? He is waiting with hands outstretched to ease your load. What are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment