Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ice on a Sandwich?

I often awake to calls and pleas for breakfast from our youngest son, Kendall. That boy often wakes with one thing on his mind... Food. This morning started very much the same, but he wanted a breakfast sandwich. By the time I had gotten to the kitchen he already had the ham and cheese out and was trying to figure out how to get the eggs off the top shelf. That independent boy!

I prepared his breakfast and placed it it before him. I also warned him that it was hot. As I started back to the kitchen, Kendall asked for me to put an ice cube on his sandwich to cool it. You are probably thinking... What??? When I prepare oatmeal for him, I will often add an ice cube to it and stir it to cool the oatmeal down. Then, I can spoon out the remaining cube when the oatmeal is just right. I realized that Kendall thought if it would work with oatmeal, it might just work for his sandwich.

I chuckled in my heart as I explained that the ice would only work for oatmeal. Then, it hit me- how many times do I apply a solution to a problem that just doesn't work. Typically, this is when I have tried in my own efforts to "fix" a situation without seeking the will of my Father. The results, too often, were as messy as an ice cube on a sandwich.

Why do I try to figure out and handle things on my own? I have the source of all wisdom, all knowledge, all power, and all love waiting for me to just ask Him... Yet, I jump out on my own. I think of Sarai who tried to provide an heir for her aging husband through her maidservant. It did not turn out well. Rebekah tried to make sure that the best son received all the blessings and a war between brothers erupted. Her beloved son had to flee to another nation for safety. Israel, God's chosen people, have often tried to resolve issues without seeking the Father and the results were never good- remember the golden calf?

I think King David's charge to his son, Solomon is very wise...

“So now, with God as our witness, and in the sight of all Israel—the LORD’s assembly—I give you this charge. Be careful to obey all the commands of the LORD your God, so that you may continue to possess this good land and leave it to your children as a permanent inheritance.
“And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God of your ancestors intimately. Worship and serve him with your whole heart and a willing mind. For the LORD sees every heart and knows every plan and thought. If you seek him, you will find him. But if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. So take this seriously. The LORD has chosen you to build a Temple as his sanctuary. Be strong, and do the work.” (1 Chronicles 28:8-10 NLT)

We, too, should strive for obedience of the Father. We, too, should strive to know God intimately, and worship Him with our whole heart and mind. He knows us- every detail- and knows what we truly need. He will give us the wisdom we seek if we will just focus on Him. We are still about the temple building business! We are the temple of God- as His church- every new believer adds to our temple.

My friend, I don't know if you are in the mire of a hard situation of just in the day to day sea of decisions. This I do know- all we must do is seek after the Father and allow Him to work out things in His will and for our good. Otherwise, you will just end up with a mess.... Just like an ice cube on a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment