Friday, August 31, 2012

A Wasp In My Home

Our family is preparing to go on an adventure!  As a family, we enjoy camping in the outdoors with campfires, starry nights, and much laughter.  The only requirement that this momma has is that we have air conditioning for nights of good sleep.  So, we have a pop-up trailer that comes with air conditioning!  It is just a glorified tent, but I do have a small refrigerator and plenty of bed space for our family. 

It has been a long time since we went on an adventure of this kind as the Texas heat has been so extreme the past two summers, and yesterday as we began preparing for travels, we made a very unwelcome discovery.... wasps!  Apparently, a large group of wasps decided that our small tent trailer was a wonderful home for them.  However, I refuse to share my quarters with wasps this weekend- I want to experience nature, but I don't want in joining me in my bed! 

So, bravely my husband sprayed the nest and we all ran for the house all the while imagining that a swarm was following us as we retreated to safety.  An hour later, Reagan braved the trailer and knocked down the nest.  This morning it was my task to clean up all the mess.  I set about my tasks when my son recognized that we had a few remaining "house guests" and again the scrambling to the house commenced.  I put on my brave belt and with much prayer went out and sprayed, again, the wasps.    I have since cleaned, organized, began packing and feeling very productive when one more wasp flew in to check out the accommodations.  Can you believe that?  I once again- sprayed and ran for the hills (or house anyway). 

I sit, now, waiting- hoping for the death to come quickly to the poor wasp so that I might complete my task.  It has been funny to me just how frightened I am by the poor, small creatures.  I might have broken a speed record this last time as I fled to safety.  The thought hit me..... why can't I flee from sin that way?  The sin that so easily entangles if far more dangerous that the wasps in my portable home.  Furthermore, when the wasps were in my place of residence, I risked life and limb to get them OUT!  Yet, too often we turn our head when sin enters our spiritual home.  Why is that?  Why is it so easy to flee from some things, but certain sins we just choose to live with?

Remember Joseph?  Genesis 39 describes how he chose to be trustworthy despite the advances of his master's wife.  When sin was literally grasping at his cloak trying to cling to him- he threw off the cloak and ran from it!  Oh, that I might have that kind of sensitivity and discernment to lose a cloak, but guard the door to my heart, my eyes, my ears, and my mind.  My friend, once sin has taken residence with you; the evil one will try to destroy you from within and the battle is much harder to fight.  Be on guard.  Be diligent.  Stand ready and on alert.

"My son, pay attention to what I say; turn your ears to my words.  Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to one's whole body.  Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.  Keep your mouth free of perversity; keep corrupt talk far from your lips.  Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you.  Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.  Do not turn to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil."  Proverbs 4:20-27 NLT

My friend, is there a sin taking residence in you?  No matter how small- just like the wasp- we must flee for safety into the open arms of the Father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment