Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dishes in the Sink

Last night, the dishes sat in my sink.  Tall and filthy they sat stacked high and to overflowing in both sides of my sink.  Now, that is not an experience is altogether rare or uncommon for many households, but instead it was reflective of my heart.  In horror, I silently watched the news footage of the Boston Marathon bombings yesterday.  My mind saw flashbacks from previous times of destruction- all the events of September 11 and of the Oklahoma bombing just years prior.  Heartache, pain, and sadness fell over me as I watched the events unfold. 

Then, I thought of my children and my wonderful husband.  The truth is that we are not guaranteed a life free of heartache, pain and sadness.  We are guaranteed that Christ, who lives within us, will never leave us when those difficult times strike.  He is faithful to walk with us during those devastating moments and shine His light and love through us.  He has blessed me with a loving and kind husband.  He has given me the precious opportunity to be a mother- three times over, and I love my boys so very much.  Last night, I just needed to be with them.  To sit in the midst of an "ordinary" night and let them just play, laugh, argue and fuss around me.  I needed to oversee the putting on of pajamas, taking of bedtime medicines and brushing of teeth.... all to soon, those days will have passed.

For many of us, we are far removed from the events of yesterday- we grieve and hurt for those who lost loved ones or were injured but life continues for us.  We still go to work, drive the car-pool, prepare meals, wash the clothes, and even do the dishes.  Let us not forget to stop, and pause, for the realization that it could have been us.  Savor the moments that God gives us- the ordinary days- realizing that it is the "ordinary" things that we will miss the most when the children grow or a spouse passes.  In those moments, God will carry us through the difficult days often by the joyful and treasured memories crafted in the days of mundane, ordinary moments. 

Pray and grieve for those in Boston.   Let your heart overflow with all the blessings the Father has given you.   Recognize and treasure them- even if it means the dishes stay in the sink.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment