Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Just Fix It

Ah, life with boys.... I love them!  The way they can find one lone mud puddle in a 20 mile radius and just dive in.  The way that wrestling is a deep love language and how God gives them the ability to make "car sounds" almost from birth.  Boys go at life hard- full steam ahead- and with little thought to the consequences.  Recently, one of my sons came to me with a broken toy.  It needed to be repaired and as much as I wanted to "fix" their world, I couldn't.  The damage was beyond any repair I could do- tape and superglue.  Despite my conclusion, they tried.... oh what a mess was made.  Sadly, they came to the same conclusion that the toy was a loss. 

I thought of that this morning, as I continued in my study of Abraham.  We studied about him last week in the post "Packed Bags".  Abraham had been called to follow God to a new land that He had for this faithful servant.  Without any voiced hesitation, Abraham followed.  What faith!  Yet, today, we will find out that even men with great faith can deal with great frailty.  Continue with me in Genesis....

"Then Abram set out and continued toward the Negev. Now there was a famine in the land, and Abram went down to Egypt to live there for a while because the famine was severe. As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, “I know what a beautiful woman you are. When the Egyptians see you, they will say, ‘This is his wife.’ Then they will kill me but will let you live. Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you.” When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that Sarai was a very beautiful woman. And when Pharaoh’s officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, male and female servants, and camels. But the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram’s wife Sarai. So Pharaoh summoned Abram. “What have you done to me?” he said. “Why didn’t you tell me she was your wife? Why did you say, ‘She is my sister,’ so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!” Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had." (Genesis 12:9-20 NIV)

In great faith, Abraham had been obedient.  Even when a famine hit the land that God was giving Abraham, he trusted and did not question God's faithfulness.  However, as they traveled to Egypt for a time to wait until the famine had passed, a deep fear hit him.  His wife, Sarai, was incredibly beautiful- now keep in mind that she was 65 at this time, and yet Abraham knew that her beauty would draw attention.  In fear that the Pharaoh would have him killed to get Sarai, he told her to tell a lie that they were brother and sister.  The truth is that she was his half-sister, but she was his wife and his intention was to mislead those he feared.  He was trying to "fix" this problem on his own and even before the need arose.  Does that hit home?  It has to me.  So many times I have tried to "fix" problems in my own world rather than trusting God to work it all out for my good.  I think most of us are guilty of this and even if we are not guilty of lying, we are certainly guilty of a lack of trust in our Father.

His fear was real- not imagined- and the Pharaoh did take interest in Sarai.  My friend, often times our fears are real- painfully so-but God is still active and working in them.  Even if the worst thing we can imagine happens, God would still be there with us.  He is ever by our side and when our tears are heavy, He tenderly wipes them away.  He holds us close and brings comfort until we are strong enough to stand again and walk.   In this case, God did step in and protected Sarai.  That brings great joy to my heart- how about you?  Our Holy Father, saw Sarai in need and stepped in to protect her. Never think that God doesn't hear your cries or sees your needs.  He may not rescue us in such a dramatic fashion, but He is just as present in our times of crisis. 

Pharaoh, of all people, calls Abraham on the carpet.... so to speak.  He, realizing that there was something special about Abraham and Sarai, tells them to leave and he blesses them financially for the journey.  My friend, sometimes we go through trials and difficulties not just for the spiritual growth that we receive but for others to get a glimpse of the One True God.  In many ways, Abraham failed this test of his faith, but God was still revealed and recognized.  The same is true of us.  There are times when our faith is strong and a great testimony to the Father.  There will also be times when we will fail and make mistakes, but all of it can be used to bring glory to the Father if we allow Him to work through our failures.

While I will never be able to fix every broken thing in my boys' lives, I rejoice that God can.  I rejoice that nothing is beyond His ability and I can rest and trust in that knowledge.  My new hope is that I will have the faith to truly trust Him the next time I feel the need to try and "fix" my world.  His ways are not my own and His resources far outweigh my own.    My friend, how about you?  Whatever problem or struggle you are facing right now, He has a perfect solution.  Trust Him.  Wait for Him.  Rest in Him.  Allow Him to work and be glorified.  He will make your path clear and your faith stronger in the process.

I am enjoying this journey with Abraham.... are you?  Let's stay on it for a little while!  :)

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment