Thursday, April 11, 2013

Press On

Yesterday, I upset one of our sons because he wanted to do something that I did not feel was best for him.  Does that sound familiar?  I think most parents can identify with that!  As I responded to his hurt feelings, I found myself saying something and even as the words were leaving my mouth, I knew it was the Holy Spirit at work.  I said, "You equate my love for you if I do what you want, but because I love you, I do what I think is best for you- and that is not always what you want."   The weight of those words struck me to the core.  Do I respond the same way to the Father?

How many times have I questioned, become angry, or festered in hurt of all the "what-ifs" in my world?  What if that had happened or what if that had not happened?  Why did God allow this?  In brutal honesty, I have done this over and over...  I do not think I am alone in that.  God's love for me is so great and His ways are so much higher than mine, but in my longing to control or have my way in an issue, I pout.  I question.  Often, later, I reflect back on those challenging times and realize how it was for my benefit- my growth.

This morning, I read this statement and felt so convicted and humbled..... "Be careful not to complain about anything, even the weather, since I am the Author of your circumstances.  The best way to handle unwanted situations is to thank Me for them.  This act of faith frees you from resentment and frees Me to work My ways into the situation, so that good emerges from it."  Sarah Young, Jesus Calling

Wow.... God wants us to keep pressing on to the goal- a well lived life for His glory.  Hard circumstances become spiritual "markers" that grow our faith and trust in Him.  He does not fail us.  He grows us.  We can not equate His love for us by His doing what we want!  He cannot be God if He is controlled by our whims and wishes.  He is God and He must be free to work in our lives to shape and mold us into His-purposed reflection.

"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it. Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I've warned you of them many times; sadly, I'm having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ's Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites. But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him." (Philippians 3:12-21 MSG)

Father, help "clear my blurred vision" so I may press on to you.  I want to live a life filled with Your purpose so that I may better reflect You.  Thank you for the hurts, disappointments, and challenges that come into my life as I know they are but temporary- my real home awaits!  Mold me, Father, shape me.  "I am off and running and I'm not turning back."

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment