Wednesday, April 24, 2013

On His Hands

Yesterday, we were busy at school work when I realized that the 3 year old toddler was quiet.... too quiet.  (This should strike fear in any parent!)  I called him and he came to show me the "artwork" he had done- on his hands, cheeks, chin and arms.  It was beautiful, right?  I knew I needed to talk to him about not marking on himself when he flashed that awesome smile, and I melted.  I still talked to him, but it was tough!

 
Then, God brought to mind the scripture passage from Isaiah 49.....
 
"Sing for joy, O heavens! Rejoice, O earth! Burst into song, O mountains! For the Lord has comforted his people and will have compassion on them in their suffering. Yet Jerusalem says, “The Lord has deserted us; the Lord has forgotten us.” “Never! Can a mother forget her nursing child? Can she feel no love for the child she has borne? But even if that were possible, I would not forget you! See, I have written your name on the palms of my hands. Always in my mind is a picture of Jerusalem’s walls in ruins." (Isaiah 49:13-16 NLT)
 
 
At this point, Israel had not heeded the pleas of the prophet Isaiah and had found themselves in captivity by the nation of Babylon.  Then they began to question God's faithfulness to them and wondered if He had forgotten them?  Have you ever felt that way?  In this case, as with us often as well, their sin had caused the "distance" they felt from the Holy One.  It was by their choice, they had ignored the warnings to repent of their sins against God.   I find that often, when I feel a distance in my personal relationship with God it is due to a sin in my life as well.  In part of my reading today, Max Lucado  discussed this issue as he discusses the reasons behind the necessity of Christians apologizing for sins that we have already been forgiven of.... "The very reason you would want your children to do the same.  If my children violate one of my standards or disobey a rule, I don't disown them....But I do expect them to be honest and apologize.  And until they do, the tenderness of our relationship will suffer.  The natures of the relationship won't be altered but the intimacy will.  The same happens in our walk with God.  Confession does not create a relationship with God, it simply nourishes it."
 
 
Israel, as a nation, had not confessed and nourished intimacy with the Father.  So, I have to look to our nation and ask the same thing? 
 
 
I also find joy, however, in the knowledge that Israel was never off the Father's mind..... they were written on the palms of His hands..... My friend, we are never forgotten by the Father- we are permanently etched in the nail scars in His hands and feet.  When He looks at His former wounds, Jesus sees His redeemed.  We are never out of His grasp and love. 
 
Today, whatever you are facing.... turn to Him.  Repent for any sin that might be hindering the intimacy you were meant to have with the Lover of your soul.  Then, rest- completely rest- in the knowledge and love He has for you that surpasses time and eternity.  You are forever etched in the scars that bring you redemption!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment