Monday, April 15, 2013

Hearing a Heartbeat

Several years ago, Reagan and I found ourselves in a difficult situation.  We had been married for several years and had two wonderful boys.  We had just gone through a job lay off and he had just found employment after four months of working odd jobs and living off unemployment.  Life was good and we were rejoicing in the Lord's provision.  Then, I found out I was pregnant.  It should have been a happy moment, but I was overwhelmed.... how could we provide for another child?  After all that we had gone through in the previous months made me anxious about how we could manage it all.  Yes, Reagan had gotten another job, but with a huge pay decrease...   I spent the first two days in constant tears, and I couldn't talk about it without a knot knitted in worry forming in my stomach.

Then, the love and support we felt from our family and friends helped us adjust to the joy of this new arrival and I slowly began to feel joy.... a new life.  At an appointment right at the end of my first trimester, I chatted with the nurse as she took my vitals and checked my weight.  It was light-hearted and fun until she tried to find the baby's heartbeat.  She looked and looked as we continued to chat, but I slowly saw a look of concern cross her face.  Telling me not to worry, she went and retrieved the doctor to have him come and try.  In those moments, there was no doubt- I wanted this baby.  I began to silently cry out to the Father for the life within me- pleading and begging for a heartbeat to be found.  The doctor began to search and the room stayed painfully silent.... and the look of concern on both of their faces told me just how serious it was.  Just as we were about to do a sonogram to see what was happening, we heard it- the beat of a heart crying out, "I am here!".  Tears swelled and fell in relief.  The baby was okay!

That baby is our precious Kendall.  He brings us so much joy, and I could never imagine a life that did not have him in it.  I still choke up when I think about that day in the doctor's office or the tedious moments in delivery when we, again, lost his heartbeat.  I cried out in desperate prayers to the Father for his life and the joy in finally hearing his loud cry sent tears streaming down my cheeks.  He was my son- from the moment I knew he existed.  Even when I was unsure of all the details, I loved him.


My friend, each year millions of precious lives are lost-- not by natural causes- but by fearful, scared mothers who don't know what to do.  In their heartache, they choose to end the life of their child through abortion.   Their stories are different, but the outcome is the same.  They are left to deal with the emotional scars and loss for the rest of their lives.  I cast no stone- everyone sins and no one is free from the guilt of regret.  My heart is not to condemn, but to be a voice crying out for those that have no voice.... the unborn.  God has a plan for every life that comes into existence and He knits them together in the womb.  Every detail about them is known and planned by a loving Father.

Each one of us is affected by abortion.  How?  We may all know someone who made that choice in a desperate time and has lived with regret and heartache over it.  For some of you, the pain is buried deep within.  Most of us are guilty of being apathetic in regards to this issue- it happens and it is too overwhelming of an issue.  Plus, it is very polarizing in our society to stand on the side of life, but, my friend, we must be the voice for the millions of babies each year that are aborted. 

What can we do?

Support pregnancy centers that share God's plan and intentions for life- either by finances, time, and especially prayer.

Support adoption agencies and start changing our nation's heart in regards to adoption and abortion.  For some women, taking the life of their baby seems more logical than giving it to a family that longs for a child..... we must change this!!

Love these precious ladies- they are frightened, hurting and scared.  They do not need our judgement as they are probably doing enough of that on their own.  What they need is our love and support.  If they choose to keep their child, they are going to need physical help and support- we can be that!!

Pray.  Pray.  Pray.  Plead to the Father for these precious lives.

Share with others your heart in a loving, kind and non-threatening way, but by all means share.  You never know how God might use you to change a life forever.

My friend, I know these issues are hard- or at least they are for me, but so much is at stake.  It is a life and death cause that we must take up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment