Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stinky Stuff

On Monday, we were surprised by a visit from my parents following an appointment they had in the area.  Much debate ensued over where we would go for lunch, but we ended up at a place with a play area for the boys... The food was okay and the boys ate very well and played hard.  At one point, I looked up and saw a familiar facial expression on Kendall that let me know he was "taking care of some business".  Sure enough, when we came down for a little break in his play, I realized that a change was in order.  It hit me that I had left his diaper bag in the car and sent Caleb out to grab it for me.  However, when he returned without the bag, I knew I was in trouble.  Apparently, when I put Kendall in the car and thought I had his bag was, in fact, a coat that we did not need on an 80* day.  UGH!!

Deciding to return home as my best option, I tried to get everyone ready to leave.  As we drove home, the scent became strong and Carson began to ask if I could roll down all the windows.... I could definitely understand his request!  I think Carson would have stuck his head out of the car- much like a dog- if I would have allowed it.   Caleb, however, does not like the windows rolled down because all the wind burns his eyes.  So, with noses pinched, we drove straight home.... um, well except that pesky drive through errand I had to run.  You know it was bad when the toddler kept asking when we could change him.

As I thought about this later, this became so humorous to me....  in life- especially with family- we have to deal with each other's stinky stuff.  None of us are perfect and all need God's grace through the gift of His Son.  His generous grace poured into our souls gives us the resources we need to deal with each other- to extend His grace to those in need around us.  We all struggle and deal with difficult people or good people in the midst of stinking circumstances.  It is so tempting to want to flee and run from those needs, but often God wants us right there in the midst of it.  Ministering, loving, and being His hands and feet for that person, in that exact moment. 

Think, too, of our Savior.  He took all the filth of our sins and placed them on Himself.  His great love for us drove Him to do what we could not do for ourselves.  If He is our ultimate example, then we must be willing to live out His love and grace before them; so they might seek and know their need for Him.  We are to be a living reflection of the One who saved us.

"When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings." (1 Corinthians 9:22, 23 NLT)

"Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay. God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another." (1 Peter 4:8-10 NLT)

Sometimes- nay, many times, we walk through difficult days with fellow believers.  Babes in need of maturity who need grace-filled nourishment to bring growth.  Harsh and critical words rarely bring the sustenance needed for spiritual maturing.  All instruction must be bathed in deep love.

"Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself. Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important." (Galatians 6:1-3 NLT)

My friend, I do not know what situations you find yourself today, but we are meant to minister.  We are meant to love and bring healing to a hurting world.  It is meant to be an outpouring of all that He has done within our redeemed souls.  Today, be His hands.....be His feet.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment