Friday, April 26, 2013

Packed Bags

Today, bags found their way down off the high shelf in the closet.  Clothes and necessities filled them full and we found ourselves headed on a trip to visit with family.  As we set about all the tasks that needed to be done in order to arrive at our destination on time, my heart was drawn to another family of travelers-found in the old testament....

"The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.” So Abram departed as the Lord had instructed, and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he left Haran. He took his wife, Sarai, his nephew Lot, and all his wealth—his livestock and all the people he had taken into his household at Haran—and headed for the land of Canaan." (Genesis 12:1-5 NLT)

Abram- who later is called Abraham- is a man of great faith.  Yet, we know little to nothing of him prior to this event, which took place when he was 75.  In the book of Romans, it was expressed that "Abraham never wavered in believing God’s promise. In fact, his faith grew stronger, and in this he brought glory to God. He was fully convinced that God is able to do whatever he promises. And because of Abraham’s faith, God counted him as righteous." (Romans 4:20-22 NLT)  Much occurs later that prove the tremendous faith Abraham held for the "Unseen God", but it was this passage that I was drawn to in my thoughts today.

The Lord made it clear to Abram that he was to leave the land of his family and follow God's leading to a new land.  He would make Abram's descendants into a great nation and he would be a blessing to many.  Can you imagine the promise and hope held in such a tremendous revelation?  To be chosen for such an incredible opportunity?  Yet, by our standard, the cost seemed great.  They had to leave all that they had known in life behind.  There is always security in the known- it is comfortable, easy and safe, but we tend to grow beyond ourselves in the dangerous lands of the unknown.  We do not know if they were afraid or worried about this move.  I confess, there would have been some anxiety in my tent!  What we do know is...."Abram departed as the Lord had instructed."  No matter what he and Sarai might have felt, they were faithFULL and obeyed the Lord. 

It hit me today that we are all appointed a legacy and we all have the promise of a great future if we are willing to yield ourselves to God's calling in our lives.  Sometimes, that means leaving the safety of "known" to follow God into unknown territory.  Scary?  Absolutely! But the truest courage is not in the lack of fear, but the willingness to walk in faith where the Father leads despite it.  We will never reach the place God has for us unless we are willing to move away from our own self-sufficiency and self-built security. 

My friend, God is not finished with us- His work in us will not be finished until our last breath is drawn.  Let us not live in fear and trepidation, but in faith travel the journey He has designed for us.  I can only hope that at the end of my travels when I finally reach "home" that God will say of me that I never wavered in believing God's promise and that I brought glory to Him.

My bags are packed and my feet are ready.... lead Lord.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment