Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A New Name

Have I ever mentioned that I am rather clumsy?  Just a little while ago, I was sipping coffee in my comfy chair reading and praying... all of which are some of my favorite things to do.  At the point  I thought to myself, just how refined I must look- minus the old t-shirt and shorts and "bed-head" hairstyle.... I was the living version of a coffee commercial.  Then, I suddenly forgot how to drink and coffee went all down the front of my shirt..... at least it is old!  Oh, just when I start to think that I have it together, I spill coffee, say something I shouldn't, loose my temper, or countless other faults I own.  Make no mistake of it- we are fallen humans- blessed by the only true God, and let us never stop praising Him for it!



I think Abram could relate to my coffee spill.  He had seen God work in His life many times, but this whole issue of a future heir had been a struggle.  He longed for God's blessing and even went along with Sarai's plan to use Hagar to fulfill God's plan.  Was his faith weakened?  He had seen God work so clearly before, why did he not wait on God's timing?  Perhaps, he logically reasoned that Sarai was well past child-bearing years and the Lord had only said it would be his heir... but, our God doesn't always work in our logic.  Abram had to deal with some of the remaining issues- particularly between Hagar and Sarai- for thirteen years.  Let's pick up where we left off....

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the Lord appeared to him and said, “I am El-Shaddai—‘God Almighty.’ Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life. I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants.” At this, Abram fell face down on the ground. Then God said to him, “This is my covenant with you: I will make you the father of a multitude of nations! What’s more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram. Instead, you will be called Abraham, for you will be the father of many nations. I will make you extremely fruitful. Your descendants will become many nations, and kings will be among them! “I will confirm my covenant with you and your descendants after you, from generation to generation. This is the everlasting covenant: I will always be your God and the God of your descendants after you. And I will give the entire land of Canaan, where you now live as a foreigner, to you and your descendants. It will be their possession forever, and I will be their God.” Then God said to Abraham, “Your responsibility is to obey the terms of the covenant. You and all your descendants have this continual responsibility. This is the covenant that you and your descendants must keep: Each male among you must be circumcised. You must cut off the flesh of your foreskin as a sign of the covenant between me and you. From generation to generation, every male child must be circumcised on the eighth day after his birth. This applies not only to members of your family but also to the servants born in your household and the foreign-born servants whom you have purchased. All must be circumcised. Your bodies will bear the mark of my everlasting covenant. Any male who fails to be circumcised will be cut off from the covenant family for breaking the covenant.” Then God said to Abraham, “Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah. And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.” Then Abraham bowed down to the ground, but he laughed to himself in disbelief. “How could I become a father at the age of 100?” he thought. “And how can Sarah have a baby when she is ninety years old?” So Abraham said to God, “May Ishmael live under your special blessing!” But God replied, “No—Sarah, your wife, will give birth to a son for you. You will name him Isaac, and I will confirm my covenant with him and his descendants as an everlasting covenant. As for Ishmael, I will bless him also, just as you have asked. I will make him extremely fruitful and multiply his descendants. He will become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation. But my covenant will be confirmed with Isaac, who will be born to you and Sarah about this time next year.” When God had finished speaking, he left Abraham. On that very day Abraham took his son, Ishmael, and every male in his household, including those born there and those he had bought. Then he circumcised them, cutting off their foreskins, just as God had told him." (Genesis 17:1-23 NLT)

I love how God reminds Abram of the covenant set before him- not because Abram had forgotten- but, because God often reminds us of our called purpose and potential.  He often does this when He is about to lead us down a new path... With Abram, He gives him a new name.  I love that!  Too many times we give ourselves a name, but it isn't suiting to the purpose that our Father has for us.  Names like Failure, Broken, Unwanted, and Ugly simply won't due when He has given so much for our sake.  Equally, names like Self-Sufficient and Entitled won't due because they fail to recognize the desperate need we have for our Father.  God gives us a new name and a new purpose to match!  So, Abram becomes Abraham meaning "father of many" and Sarai becomes Sarah meaning "princess". If we have been bought by the blood of Christ, we have a new name as well.... Redeemed.

God then asks Abraham to be obedient to him by a final "marking" that would forever identify those living in the covenant God had made with him.  He asks Abraham to circumcise all the males in his household and to do the same to all future males joining their family.  Why would God do this?  Most of what I read seems to point to God wanting complete obedience from Abraham in this as well as a permanent sign that the males were part of God's chosen people.  It could also be symbolic as a final "cutting" away of their old life and commitment to live for the Holy One.  It may have also been for health issues.  While we may never know all the reasons, ours is to obey in where and what He leads for us to do. 

Perhaps the greatest revelation for Abraham, is that Sarah will be the mother of the chosen people.  Sarah?  My Sarah?  She is 90 years old!  God wanted to work in such a way that generations would never question whether it was by Him or not.  He would do the impossible to further "mark" that these people are HIS chosen ones.  He did the same for us when he sent His Son to die for all our sins.... the impossible made possible for us, to forever mark us as HIS. Glory!  God even gives Abraham a name for their future son, Isaac, which means "laughter".  I think this reflects the inevitable joy that Isaac brings to them all- God's revealed promise in flesh before them.   God may not reveal Himself so dramatically to each of us, but make no mistake about it, He has just as important a plan for you.  We each have divine potential in Him and unending value in His eyes. 

Abraham cries out for Ishmael, and I love the tenderness expressed here.  Ishmael may not be the chosen child for the covenant, but he was still loved, deeply, by Abraham.  God promises to bless him as well, but it will be different.... each of us will have a different calling from God and we will find greater contentment when we learn to trust in what He has for us and stop comparing ourselves to others.  Easy?  Rarely, but God wants us to find joy in the life He has given us.  How can we have joy if we are constantly comparing ourselves?  Our journey will be as special and unique as we are...

Today, I pray that you rejoice in the new name and purpose God has for you.  That it brings you such joy as you reflect on the path He has chosen for you to tread.  Trust Him to reveal Himself in the divine timing that is solely His.  You are not alone- Trust, Follow, Obey, and grow your Faith.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment