Friday, May 17, 2013

Superwoman

A little while ago, I felt a small tapping on my shoulder.  It was Kendall, our toddler, busy at work trying to attach a bright red Superman cape to my t-shirt!  He smiled real big and said, "You Superman!"  Then, he laughed and ran off.

Too often, I try to live up to a Superwoman status... like many mothers, I try to do it all.  I spend hours a day balancing all the needs that pop up for our family as well as homeschooling, managing a part-time job at our church and being a writer.  I cook, clean, disciple, and oversee all things Boles.  I find myself angry and self-deprecating on the days I seem to fail at the balancing act and self-righteously attaching the super-hero cape on the good days.  Where is the balance in that?  One day failure, one day hero..... reality is very much lost in between the two.

The truth is my value is not in my day to day accomplishments.  It lies in what Jesus did for me on the cross thousands of years ago.  My value is found in Him and His redemptive love for me.  I am going to fail, often so, at the tasks in life, but there will also be days when I will succeed.... victoriously so, but all can be used for His glory.  Moments when we are broken by our own limitations and failures are holy and beautiful as we allow His Holy Love to redeem, heal, and bind our wounds.  Moments when we see Him working within us and we realize that only by His grace were we able to accomplish all that we did- we can stand in awe of the Most High God who sees after all of His creation.  He hears our prayers and not one need slips past Him.

I am learning that the only "Super" thing I can do is desperately cry out to my Father each day to help me be the wife and mother that I am called to be.  Recognizing His work and authority in my life brings that balance that we so often search for.  God is teaching me that I no longer need a cape on my back, but His redemption within.  That is how I want my boys to see me.... not as Superwoman but as a fellow Redeemed.  Fallen, broken, loved, healed and restored.... Redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment