Monday, May 6, 2013

The Pain of Salsa

I know we have been on an incredible journey with Abram over the past week, and it is one that has challenged and grown me personally.  As I have been reading a praying over the adventures still ahead in the scriptures for Abram, I confess being burdened by the heavy topics that we will face.  However, that is life and we must see things from God's perspective.... the only way that can be done is to study His word.  Tomorrow, it is my heart's desire to continue our study of this great faith follower.  Today, however, I feel I need to share a sweet and humorous moment with Kendall yesterday.



We were so blessed to have the opportunity to spend some time with family over the weekend as we attended a family wedding together.  It was beautiful and a wonderful time of laughing and enjoying each other's company.  Yesterday, realizing that everyone was about to leave to head home, we all went for lunch at a local Mexican restaurant after church.  We were seated and the traditional chips and salsa were brought to our table as we waited for our drinks and food.  Even though Kendall is only three, we have brought him up to love Tex-Mex food.  The boy loves his salsa!  He proceeded to dive into his own personal salsa dish.  All was good until he took a bite that was particularly hot.  He began to cry and fuss as I tried to get him to drink some water to cool his mouth down.  When that did not satisfy, I proceeded to sprinkle a little salt on a chip and then rub that on his tongue as salt stops the burning and discomfort.  He immediately stopped fussing and took a long drink.  Then, to all our amazement, he dove right back into the salsa..... before all was said and done, I had "salted" his tongue about 3 more times.  As much as it burned, the salsa was too addicting and he could not leave it alone.

As I have thought about all that this morning, isn't that like sin in our lives?  We start something that we know we shouldn't and then we can't stop.  When the pain becomes too much, we cry out until relief comes, but soon find ourselves back in the addiction that burns.  Why is that?  Why do we do the things that we know will hurt?  Sin is addicting..... it seems to bring satisfaction until the pain becomes too much to bear.  In Kendall's case, I could have removed the salsa, but he has to learn the art of restraint.  God could remove all temptations from our lives as well, but He knows that it is better for us to learn restraint and discipline which will grow us deeper and closer to Him.

I have to chuckle too, because what are believers called in the scriptures?  Salt.... Believers can help put out the fire and pain of sin in the lives of people who are hurting and needing the relief that only Christ can give.  Today, I am going to pray for eyes to see and ears to hear opportunities to be salt in this world.  I am also praying for you.  I would love to hear from you- please feel free to connect with me on Facebook, Twitter, or become a follower of this blog.  When we join together, walking the journey becomes easier....

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. I love the "salt" analogy! Tell Kendall, we can't put down the salsa either :)

    ReplyDelete