Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Desperately Hungry

A few minutes ago,  I was struck with an all too familiar feeling.....starvation.  So many mornings I allow myself to get so busy our morning routine that suddenly realize that I have not eaten.  All is fine until I hit a point and recognize that I am desperately hungry for food.  As I prepared some breakfast for myself, I reflected on the times in my life that I was desperately hungry for the things of God.  Have you been there?  Times when you needed that verse of promise from His word as much as you needed the next breath of air in your lungs... desperate hunger for Him often comes in times of desperate need. 

When I reflect back on these moments in my personal walk, I am drawn to the times in broken tenderness when I just survived on His scriptures and promises to carry me through each day, each hour, each moment.... desperately thirsting and hungering for Him.  Those times were present in the midst of heartache, broken plans, tremendous change, and times when we He called me out of the safe shelter of all that I had known into the wilderness of unknown.  As I shared yesterday, God is moving our family in a new direction (New Beginnings) and while I hold great excitement for all that is ahead, it is still a new land for us.  I am also so burdened by the heartache of others near to me who are struggling in desperate need right now.  All these moments make us long for the security of our strong tower- Jesus Christ. 

As we continue in our study of Abraham, we reach a desperate place.... let us continue in Genesis chapter 21...

"When Isaac grew up and was about to be weaned, Abraham prepared a huge feast to celebrate the occasion. But Sarah saw Ishmael—the son of Abraham and her Egyptian servant Hagar—making fun of her son, Isaac. So she turned to Abraham and demanded, “Get rid of that slave woman and her son. He is not going to share the inheritance with my son, Isaac. I won’t have it!” This upset Abraham very much because Ishmael was his son. But God told Abraham, “Do not be upset over the boy and your servant. Do whatever Sarah tells you, for Isaac is the son through whom your descendants will be counted. But I will also make a nation of the descendants of Hagar’s son because he is your son, too.” So Abraham got up early the next morning, prepared food and a container of water, and strapped them on Hagar’s shoulders. Then he sent her away with their son, and she wandered aimlessly in the wilderness of Beersheba. When the water was gone, she put the boy in the shade of a bush. Then she went and sat down by herself about a hundred yards away. “I don’t want to watch the boy die,” she said, as she burst into tears. But God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven, “Hagar, what’s wrong? Do not be afraid! God has heard the boy crying as he lies there. Go to him and comfort him, for I will make a great nation from his descendants.” Then God opened Hagar’s eyes, and she saw a well full of water. She quickly filled her water container and gave the boy a drink. And God was with the boy as he grew up in the wilderness. He became a skillful archer, and he settled in the wilderness of Paran. His mother arranged for him to marry a woman from the land of Egypt." (Genesis 21:8-21 NLT)

So much of this passage screams of desperate heartache- from the angry cries of Sarah to the broken heart of Abraham who loved Ishmael; concluding with the fearful tears of Hagar.  Desperate and broken by all the events that changed them forever.  Mistakes and past failures suddenly hit a boiling point in the desert heat and Abraham is left to make a difficult decision.  God tells Abraham to make Hagar and Ishmael leave them.  Why?  For some of us, this seems so absurd to send out this woman and his own child into the wilderness.  While we may never fully understand all the purpose in this, I believe part of His reasoning was to bring peace.  The house was divided by conflicting loyalties.  Ishmael had been reared for several years as the chosen child because he was a son of Abraham, but then, God made it clear that another child was to come through Sarah who would be the chosen one to receive God's blessing.  This whole scenario couldn't help but lend itself to conflict and hurt feelings.  The only way for true peace to come to this family was for Hagar and Ishmael to leave.  This may sound cruel to you and I, but God knew that He would tend and care for them.  God would not leave them abandoned.  Instead it was for a purpose far deeper than our finite minds can understand.

So, in a desperate need, Hagar found herself doing the unthinkable.  She waited for death to come.  Yet, God came to her in their desperate state.  God always comes to us in our desperate state when we are searching and longing for Him.  He never leaves us alone.  He is ever present in our times of need and uncertainty.  God delivered Hagar and Ishmael and was with them as the boy grew.  He wasn't who God planned for His chosen child- the first of His chosen people, but Ishmael still had purpose.  We all have purpose in Him.  You may feel lost and alone in the midst of unknown lands, but never doubt that He is beside you working out all details for the purpose and plan that He alone has designed for you.  He will deliver you! 

I read this quote today that blessed me so.... "God will never lead you where His strength cannot keep you." (Barbara Johnson)  My friend, no matter where you are today, He is with you.  Are you desperate for Him?  Seek Him for the peace you need for each day, each hour and each moment.  Trust that His strength is sufficient and walk, with purpose, forward in all that He has for you.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment