Friday, January 25, 2013

Clean Out the Lint!

I have an old dryer for our clothes.  So old, in fact, that to keep it running I have a large book.... a large parenting book.... wedged against the "start" button to keep it running.  Over the past year, if I moved the book the dryer would only run for a few minutes and then it would stop in the middle of its cycle.  However, the book does not seem to hold enough pressure on the switch to keep it running; so, now I have a laundry basket- a full laundry basket- wedged against the book that is wedged against the switch.  Are you laughing yet?  I have done this for well over a year- maybe two?  Yes, it would be easy to call a repairman, but it seems to only be the switch as the dryer works well otherwise.  The bad part is that all this (book and laundry basket) must sit on top of my lint drawer.  Too often, I forget to remove the lint from the dryer because it requires the extra effort of removing the laundry basket and book to get to it.  Yes, I DO know that is a fire hazard as lint is extremely flammable, but I just want to get the laundry done.  Can you relate?

 
 
Yep, it is bad... I know.  As I finally cleaned it out yesterday, the Lord really spoke to my heart.  Too often there are areas of sin.... sometimes small, sometimes big... in our lives that we just don't want to deal with- we just want to live our lives.  We pile on "stuff" to keep things working and functioning in our world, but we never get to the issue that growing inside- the sin.  The thing is, this sin is highly flammable.  One spark and we blow up and fall apart because we were holding in all "trash" within.  Isn't that what the lint is- trash? 
 
This morning, God really convicted me in two areas of struggle in my life and I realized that they were the lingering lint in my heart.  I can either choose to bring it out and allow God to discard it and bring His healing freedom into my heart or I can choose to keep it buried inside- ready to catch fire and destroy.  I have chosen freedom, but I recognize that this is an ongoing process - just as you have to continue to clean out the lint drawer.
 
My friend, what is God revealing about the sin and struggles in your life?  Are you ready to deal with it?  "But, when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  Here there is no conflict with the law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed their passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.  If we are living now by the Holy Spirit, let us follow the Holy Spirit's leading in every part of our lives."  Galatians 5:22-25 NLT
 
 
We are meant to be free- healthy, growing followers of Christ that reveal His love through words and actions, but to do that best, we must have a lint-free heart.  God, help me to give up the sin that so easily entangles that has been buried within.  I want to live a life of freedom in You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment