Monday, January 14, 2013

On Empty

Okay, in my world I admit that there are a few things that I really do not want to run out of and not have available when I need them.  For example, diapers.... have you ever had to face the reality that you are out of diapers when changing a child?  It is NOT pretty.  Another thing I do not want to run out of is coffee.... my boys don't their mother to run out of coffee either!  How about gas?  My vehicle had a malfunctioning gas gage for a period of time and I ran out of gas twice.... once when I was driving and another when Reagan was driving.  I still have a bolt of fear strike when the orange light flashes that we are running low on gas. 

Perhaps nothing is harder, however, than the sinking feeling of emptiness within.... the moment when life and all of its needs is more than I can handle.  When I realize that I have reached the end of my personal abilities, energy and time and yet what is ahead of me is beyond my limitations.  Have you been there?  Who hasn't been there before?  Today, I read this from the book, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, "Do not be ashamed of your emptiness.  Instead, view it as the optimal condition for being filled with My Peace...Talk with Me about your struggles and feelings of inadequacy.  Little by little, I will transform your weakness into strengths." 

This morning, I felt so overwhelmed by all the tasks that await my attention.  It seemed impossible to do it all and I began to feel so empty, tired, and self-focused.  Gently, as I began to lift it all to Him and place my trust in His capable hands.... peace, flooded my mind and heart.  My friend, I will never be able to handle all of life by my own strength or abilities, but in HIM I am perfectly designed and enabled to handle the plans He has for me.  In HIM, we find complete-ness.  I may or may not complete every item on my list to do today, but I can have peace knowing that He directs my paths and will work it all out for my good.  He is faithful.

I also read this quote from Corrie Ten Boom from the book Once a Day,Everyday, "Conditions are always changing; therefore, I must not be dependent upon conditions.  What matters supremely is my soul and my relationship to God."  Glory!   I can never control all the circumstance that will invade my world and life, but I can trust God to use it to grow my faith in Him and draw me closer to Him.

"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love.  Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow- not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love.  No power in the sky above or in the earth below- indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."  Romans 8:38-39 NLT (emphasis mine)

Father, help me to rejoice in all that you are able to do in and through me, today, when I so desperately needed to be filled with You.  I trust you to handle all the details of this day ahead.  I ask that you would grow my love, trust, and awareness of You through this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment