Thursday, January 24, 2013

In Life's Pile Ups

Last night I was preparing dinner when the youngest, Kendall, came in mumbling something about needing a towel, cars, and powder.  Now, it took me a few minutes to process what he was saying, but when I got to the "powder" part, I quickly realized that I needed to investigate what he had been doing back in his room.  I found a total of 18 cars (plus other toys) scattered about his room with baby powder on them.  Some had a light dusting of powder and some were totally covered.  It was a mess..... and yet, I couldn't help but notice that care he took to make sure that EVERY car had powder on it.  Apparently, he did not want to leave anyone out!  I put a picture of it on Facebook and a friend commented that it wasn't baby powder but "snow" and the cars were a part of an 18 car pile up.  Quite possibly!  Who can know the inner workings of a toddler's mind?

To be honest, I had struggled yesterday.  Things had just not gone right- nothing major- just a hard day of countless distractions, needs and issues.  That is part of any one of my days, but I did not start by spending time with the Father and my whole day felt out of sorts.  Try as I may, my efforts to correct and get my day back on track were not enough.  What I needed was some precious time with the Father to get my world back on track.

As I thought about Kendall's cars last night, I chuckled because my day felt kind of like a wreck- out of sorts- and just not how I wanted my day to go.  Kendall had taken such measures to make sure that he covered each of his cars with the powder.... and, it hit me that God goes to such efforts to make sure we are "covered" for the day ahead, and all we have to do is go to Him.  He protects. He comforts.  He provides.  He directs. He frees.  All that we must do is go to Him and draw upon His incredible character yielding our day and needs to Him.  That is what I was missing yesterday- Him.  I was trying to manage things in my own efforts and I was miserable. 







"The apostles then rendezvoused with Jesus and reported on all that they had done and taught. Jesus said, "Come off by yourselves; let's take a break and get a little rest." For there was constant coming and going. They didn't even have time to eat. So they got in the boat and went off to a remote place by themselves. Someone saw them going and the word got around. From the surrounding towns people went out on foot, running, and got there ahead of them. When Jesus arrived, he saw this huge crowd. At the sight of them, his heart broke—like sheep with no shepherd they were. He went right to work teaching them." (Mark 6:30-34 MSG)

Jesus had been ministering to so many and His earthly body was weary and tired.  He wanted rest, but upon seeing the crowds in need of Him, and His heart broke for their need.  Max Lucado states about this event, "But his love for people overcomes his need for rest...Many of those he healed would never say, 'thank you', but he healed them anyway.  Most were more concerned with being healthy than being holy, but he healed them anyway.... He had compassion on them." (Grace for the Moment)  Each day God has compassion on me and provides just what I need for spiritual growth and maturity, but I must access Him.  I must go to Him and lay my day, my needs, my time, my efforts, and my heart all at His feet.  Don't let the "wrecks" overcome you today.  Stop, and draw upon Him and allow Him to bless this day for you by providing all you need to not just survive, but thrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment