Monday, January 28, 2013

Love and a Gift Card?

Yesterday afternoon I had the rare opportunity to go shopping by myself.  Can you hear the "Hallelujah" chorus in your head right now?  Part of what makes this shopping trip so rare is that I wasn't buying groceries!  Most of the time, when I go shopping, it is to the grocery store, paying bills, and running errands for our family.  So, going shopping at a store that doesn't sale milk by the gallon is a treat.  Reagan offered to keep the boys because I knew a local department store was having a great sale that I wanted to check out and maybe make a purchase using some of my birthday money. Plus, the boys need some new jeans as almost every pair they own has a hole in the knee.

While in this store, I heard this announcement over the intercom, "Welcome to ****'s department store.  Valentine's Day is coming soon and a **** gift card is the best way to say, 'I love you' to those in your life!  We make telling others how much you care about them easy- just purchase your **** gift card at the checkout located in the front of the store.  Show them how much they mean to you with a **** gift card!"

I stopped and almost laughed out loud.  Really, a gift card from a department store is the best way to say "I love you!"..... I looked around to see if anyone else was thinking how crazy that was.  Nope, they were all buried in the sales racks looking for a great bargain.  I kept thinking about that advertisement (and it kept playing over and over) and I began reflecting on the greatest ways that I had personally been told, "I love you!" 

I remember various times when each of my parents told me that they loved me and showed me their love through words, hugs, and actions.  My dad still gives me a big hug every time I see him and I feel his love for me in that tight embrace.  My mother often tells me through a phone call or text just how much she loves me and how proud of me she is and somehow that love swells within. Reagan's parents, too, voice and express their love for me and I marvel at how they truly love me as their own child.

Reagan tells me often of his love for me, and showed that love on July 5 several years ago when he committed to spend the rest of his life with me.  Every time he hugs me close, opens the door for me, holds my hand and puts my wishes ahead of his own- I know I am loved.

Moments when a toddler first looks at you and says, "I love you!"-even if it isn't perfectly pronounced- those moments made my heart could soar in flight because of the love they gave me.  Every time I walk in the door and I feel 6 arms around me in joy that I am home, I feel such great love.  Random moments when a note is written, a kiss is given on my cheek, my lap is filled with a boy, and words are whispered in my ear- there is much love expressed between my heart and theirs.

Thousands of years ago, a man who was without sin, thought of me.  He, moved and committed by the great love He had for me as well as countless others, gave His life-blood for me.  No matter how I try to comprehend it, I cannot get beyond how great that love was and still is....for me.  No one has loved me more than our Holy Father and His son, Jesus. 

Our world has so twisted "love" turning it into something that can be bought, bargained, and earned... but, this is just a lie from the evil one.  Worldly love is just a cheap imitation of what the Father wanted for us.  Real love isn't bought at a department store.... real love is found on an empty cross stained by the blood of our Savior.  He has been crying out His great love since the beginning of time and all that he asks is that we accept it and give our lives as a love-offering to Him. 

"My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God. The person who refuses to love doesn't know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can't know him if you don't love. This is how God showed his love for us: God sent his only Son into the world so we might live through him. This is the kind of love we are talking about—not that we once upon a time loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to clear away our sins and the damage they've done to our relationship with God. My dear, dear friends, if God loved us like this, we certainly ought to love each other. No one has seen God, ever. But if we love one another, God dwells deeply within us, and his love becomes complete in us—perfect love! This is how we know we're living steadily and deeply in him, and he in us: He's given us life from his life, from his very own Spirit. Also, we've seen for ourselves and continue to state openly that the Father sent his Son as Savior of the world. Everyone who confesses that Jesus is God's Son participates continuously in an intimate relationship with God. We know it so well, we've embraced it heart and soul, this love that comes from God."(1 John 4:7-16 MSG)

Love.... is love what you long for?  Look to the Savior and embrace it heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment