Thursday, January 10, 2013

From the Trash

I am not a morning person by nature.  Some of you that know me personally are chuckling at that statement because you know that all too well.  I have two sons that greet me each morning with thoughts of breakfast looming.  Most of the time, that is their first statement, "What's for breakfast?"  So, I drag myself to the kitchen, make coffee and try to oblige them as best as I can.

Yesterday, while making breakfast for the boys I noticed that Kendall was chewing on something.  It took my coffee- deprived mind a minute to realize that I had not given him anything to eat.  So, I asked him what he was eating and he informed me that he was eating dessert.  I realized that he was munching happily on a dessert cake from some that we had purchased recently.  I just couldn't figure out how he had gotten it.... they were high on a shelf in the pantry.... the older boys wouldn't give it to him because they know that I would not agree to it....hmmm.  I questioned him, and he replied that he had gotten it from the.... (wait for it).... trash.  TRASH????  What!?!  Mortified, my mind quickly processed that he had not finished his dessert cake the previous night and apparently he had thrown it away, but he had not forgotten it.  He ended up throwing it back in the trash, and I tried to get that image out of my head- I could still gag a little thinking about it.  UGH!

Later, as I thought about the whole incident, I wondered if that is how God feels when we, as believers, "digest" unholy impurities into our lives.... How many times have we allowed things that we knew weren't spiritually nutritious into our lives because the temptation was so great?  Maybe we thought it wasn't a big deal and that it wouldn't really affect us.  Perhaps, it seemed harmless in that moment.... but, the evil one deceives us into thinking danger is harmless.  In the end, regrets are plenty and we are left longing for purity.  My friend, we must be careful of what we allow into our homes... of what we allow our eyes to see and ears to hear. 

"So set yourselves apart to be holy, for I am the Lord your God.  Keep all my decrees by putting them into practice, for I am the Lord who makes you holy."  Leviticus 20:7-8 NLT

"But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life.  In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God's love."  Jude 1:20-21 NLT

"God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives.  Therefore, anyone who refuses to live by these rules is not disobeying human teaching but is rejecting God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you." 
1 Thessalonians 4: 7-8 NLT

My Friend, let us set our heart and mind about the task of purity and doing all that we can to keep our homes, bodies and spiritual lives holy and set apart for the tasks that God has for us.  I do not want to miss out on what the Father has for me because I am spiritually unhealthy!  Plus, as we raise our children, let us teach them the path of purity in all things- in our words, actions, activities and even in our reactions.  In the words of a child's nursery song, "Oh, be careful little eyes what you see!  Oh, be careful little ears what you hear!"

No comments:

Post a Comment