Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Baking an Apple Cake

I love fall.... the beautiful colors, crisp air, pumpkin pie, football, Halloween, and Thanksgiving all warm my heart and memories. After the heat and wild summer fun, it is refreshing to cozy up with my boys and just savor some time at home.

Last Saturday, we had quite a bit of rainfall and the heat cooled a bit. It began to feel a little bit like fall, and It was so inspiring that I decided to bake an apple cake. I recruited two helpers by the name of Caleb and Carson.









They each took turns measuring ingredients, peeling and slicing apples as well as using the electric mixer. Kendall even helped get out the ingredients and "cleaning" the spatula!





It was controlled chaos, but in the end we had a wonderful, sweet apple cake. The house smelled so yummy and I loved having that experience with my boys. I was reminded that having a wonderful time with my family doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. We can build memories together in countless ways as long as we claim time from the busy schedule to just be together. From baking a cake, to a family baseball game, going geo-caching, or washing a vehicle together... Memories are made and we become closer. Sometimes, as a parent, I put too much pressure on myself. I am misled into the thinking that if I haven't taken my kids to all the latest movies, every cool water park or amusement area that I have let them down. Thankfully, that is not the case!! My kids just want to spend time with me and memories can be made anywhere- even in the kitchen while baking up some pre-fall goodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment