Friday, August 17, 2012

Will You be Mine?

Having a toddler in the house, we often hear the phrase, "Mine!  It Endall's!!" (Kendall hasn't mastered the 'k' sound yet) throughout the house.  He has just reached the age of claiming anything and everything that might have any interest to him.  At first, it was cute.... but now, well, it has become one of the primary reasons he receives discipline.  Although, when he runs up to me and grabs my leg and exclaims, "My Mommy!" my heart still melts a little.  When someone loves you so much that they claim you as there own, it should soften even the most hard of hearts. 

This morning I read a passage of scriptures from Isaiah 43:1-4 which says, "But now, O Jacob, listen to the LORD who created you.  O Israel, the one who formed you says, 'Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I called you by name; you are mine.  When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.  When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.  When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.  For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.  I gave Egypt as a ransom for your freedom; I gave Ethiopia and Seba in your place.  Others were given in exchange for you.  I traded their lives for yours because you are precious to me.  You are honored and I love you."  (NLT)

Friend, it is so special to me when any of my children or my husband "claim" me as their own.  It makes me feel special and valued.  But, when the one and only true God calls me His own.... I catch my breath and I feel so unworthy.  There is no greater honor than for God to say You are mine and I love you.  In this passage He is speaking to His chosen people of Israel who He repeatedly sought after and delivered many times from numerous different nations.  It was for the freedom and love of His chosen people that He sacrificed so much, and branded them as "His".  He does the same, today, for anyone who would accept the free gift of salvation offered through the death of Jesus Christ.  In that moment, we become "His" and we are claimed for God.  I read this quote from Max Lucado this morning, "And only a great God does for his children what they can't do for themselves.  God's delight is received upon surrender, not awarded upon conquest."  (Grace for the Moment)  I love that! 

More than any other, I want to be claimed by Christ for God in order to live a life in the security of knowing I am not alone.  When I pass through hardships, I have one carrying me through them because I am His.  When the fire of oppressions threaten, that I have no fear because God has claimed me as His own and He will not allow me to be burned in the process.  When you become His, He will do anything to protect, claim, restore, heal, and utilize you for the calling He has for your life.  Has He claimed you for His own?  If so, rejoice and praise Him!  If not, the invitation remains and He whispers to your heart, "Will you be mine?"

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment