Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Can You Believe That?

As I poured myself another cup of coffee this morning, I realized the sugar bowl was nearing empty.  So, I went to the pantry grabbed the sugar and began pouring.... seconds later I realized I was pouring all that sugar in my coffee- not the sugar bowl!!  Some days I just catch myself in a fog of items needing to be done and my mind gets distracted.  Have you been there?  Duties such as dishes, laundry, e-mails to be sent, meals to be prepared, errands to be completed, homeschool lessons, church responsibilities..... I bet you have a similar list. 

Sometimes, the evil one makes me think that my life is just that- an endless list of needs to be taken care of and met- that my eternal impact on the world is very small.   He knows if I become discouraged in my service of Christ, it will be easier to get me off track from what God is calling me to do for that day.   God has been working on my heart to teach me that my life is priceless to the Father.  My calling unique and tailor made just for me.  The calling God has for you is perfectly designed with just you in mind.  In the midst of all that a normal life offers, we often will not see the big picture that God designed for us.  We may feel lost in the midst of all the duties we have to do each day, and only years later will we get the perspective from God's viewpoint and see what impact we had for eternity.

Last night, some dear friends and I just closed a study on the book of Esther.  If you have never read that book of the Bible- do so!  While the name of God is not found anywhere in the book, He is seen throughout the events that saved the people of Israel.  Esther, one of God's chosen vessels, is unsure of her calling and yet Mordecai, her guardian, states, "Who knows if you have come to such a position for such a time as this?"  My friend it was one of the greatest decisions made in the holy scriptures that saved God's chosen people, but at the time I am not sure if she really knew that God had chosen her to fulfill that lofty role at that point.  She just focused on doing the next step... and then the step after that.... seeking God's face for guidance at each moment to make her steps secure. 

In the midst of making my daily decisions, who knows that I have come to such a time as this?  Who knows if that every-day-decision I make will have an eternal impact on someone?  I just have to seek after God daily to make my steps secure and firm.  I read this quote from Elisabeth Elliot this morning and it was so appropriate.... "Either we are adrift in the chaos or we are individuals, created, loved, upheld, and placed purposefully, exactly where we are.  Can you believe that? Can you trust God for that?"   Wow! 

"God made my life complete when I placed all the pieces before him.  When I got my act together, he gave me a fresh start.  Now I am alert to God's ways; I don't take God for granted.  Every day I review the ways he works; I try not to miss a trick.  I feel put back together, and I'm watching my step.  God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." 
 Psalm 18:20-24 MSG

So, I echo the question of Elisabeth Elliot... Can you believe that you have a God called life of purpose?  Can you trust God for that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment