Monday, August 13, 2012

Going on a Road Trip



This weekend our family had the pleasure of going on a road trip. I love road trips! My excitement and anticipation grows as we pack and prepare for our trip. Many times, we begin planning our next adventure while traveling home from one. There is just something special about getting away from home and going on an adventure where I am not worried about the dishes in the sink, laundry in the basket, phone calls I need to make, and completing my endless "To Do" list.


I love the views along our travels as well.  Moments when we gasp at the beautiful views from a high vista or wonder at the incredible wideness of a lake or river or search for the sky when trees crowd our view.  When field after field greets us and the ribbon road seems to twist and curl along the landscape.  As different as all these views are to my eyes, they are all beautiful pieces of God's handiwork.  Even when it is a road we travel often, I find it interesting that we always find something new along the journey.    As we were driving home last night, it hit me that my spiritual life is so reflective of a road trip.  I always look forward to the next adventure God has for me and that excitement grows as our preparation increases.  Along the journey, I have moments in awe of God from the mountaintops when He seems so close that I could almost touch Him.  There, too, are moments when I wonder at the wideness of a situation and just have to trust God to work it out.  I have also found myself in valleys where fear, anxiety, stress crowd my view of Him.  I know He is there, but it is so very difficult to see Him through the issues.  Field after field do I pass through in moments of just doing daily tasks until I stop to admire the handiwork of God along the way.  My life- like a ribbon road- twists and curls along this life touching others around me for various seasons of this journey until I finally reach the end of my journey.... home.  Thankfully, the home awaiting at the end of our physical life exceeds anything this life has to offer.    I have come to realize that I need all the different views along the way to get me to my destination and I could never truly appreciate the views from the high vistas until I have traveled through the shadowed valleys.  I could never marvel at the mass of the ocean unless I had experienced the beautiful patchwork of field after field.  My friend, I do not know where you are on your journey, but I know that God has much more for you to do, see and experience.   Just remember to "fill" your spiritual tank through prayer and scripture; so, you aren't left on the side of the road unable to leave that place.  We must always remember that God is our fuel source on this journey and seek after Him daily. 
Blessings and good travels my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment