Thursday, August 9, 2012

The First Worship Experience

This morning as I studied, I read a devotional by Max Lucado where he discussed the first time the disciples worshipped Christ together.  It was following an experience when they, in the midst of a terrible storm, watched Him walk out to them on the sea.  After Peter joined him for a short time and had to be saved when his fears overtook him, Christ and Peter entered the boat again.  He calmed the waves and storm at that point and the disciples marveled at Him... and finally recognized Him as the Son of God and began to worship Him together.

The interesting thing to me is that they had witnessed so much in the days and weeks beforehand.  As I scrolled through the scriptures I found many healings, miracles and events that would testify to Jesus' true identity occurring before the eyes of the disciples.  One time even included a similar event when they were traveling by boat to a new location and a fierce storm came upon them.  Christ was sleeping in the boat when they awoke Him fearful for their lives.  He rebuked the wind and waves and everything calmed.  They, standing amazed, wondered, "Who is this man? Even the wind and waves obey him!" (Matthew 8:27 NLT)  It is too easy for us to wonder to ourselves, what took them so long?  Yet, we all have been there.  We have all stared in the face of Christ and seen His true identity and yet walked away unchanged.  Sometimes we walk away because the cost of obedience seems too much or too hard.  We walk away because we are afraid to open ourselves up to Him because we are afraid of the changes that would come. 

I read a wonderful Beth Moore quote from her devotion book, Praying God's Word Day by Day, which she stated, "Ordinarily, the primary hindrance to satisfaction in our lives is refusing Him access to our empty places."  Too often we hold back and walk away from all that Christ would have for us because we are afraid to let Him see our "empty places"... places- dead to sin, wounded by this world and hurting. 

Here is what I wonder about the disciples.... what was the difference between the first and second boat experiences for them?  Why did they go from, "Who is this man?" to "You really are the Son of God!" (Matthew 14:33 NLT).  I think in their first experience they for the first time had their eyes opened and really began to see that this man was something special- not just a prophet.  By the second boat experience, they had witnessed countless lives changed by this man.  People healed.  Dead brought back to life.  Brokenness made whole.  Then, with fresh new alert eyes they turned to Him and pleaded in desperation for God to save them from the waters that threatened them.  At that point, the fear of not being saved was greater than the fear of Him seeing the empty places hidden so deep within.  So, desperate cries were answered when He stilled the waves and in full complete recognition of who He truly was and is, they worshipped Him together for the first time.

I learned from this that we all have to get  to a place where our desperation for His healing and transformation is stronger than our desire to keep sin and struggles hidden.  I love how honest, beautiful worship of the Father often follows times when He steps in and saves us from ourselves...we can't help it- we must praise the One that saved us!  I never want to forget those moments in my life!  On the days when I reflect on all that He has carried me through, praise for Him just pours forth from my soul and I fall in love with Him all over again.  He took my desperation and brought healing- complete and total.  Daily He provides all that I need for the moments ahead and I know that He is ever by my side.  How could I not praise Him? 

Friend, I do not know where you are right now.  Maybe you are still watching from the sidelines and you see lives being changed, but you are just not sure.  Maybe you are in the midst of a desperate time and are crying out to Him for salvation from it.  Perhaps you are reflecting on He has done for you and praising Him for the journey you have traveled together.  This I know- no matter where you are- you are but one breath away from Him- cry out in need, prayer, and praise of this wonderful Savior!  He has never failed you and His faithfulness endures forever.  Glory!

I read the passages sharing these two experiences from the book of Matthew in chapter 8 as well as chapter 14.  Please feel free to read and check it out for yourself.  Have a  blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment