Thursday, August 2, 2012

Thankful for My Shepherd

During this past week, our son Carson's devotion has focused a great deal on the aspect of God being our shepherd.  As a result, we have had many discussions over that perspective and what all a shepherd did in Biblical times. Over the last few days, I felt God prompting me to read and study Psalm 23.  Now, many of us are familiar with this passage as it is often read at funerals.  This passage of scripture focuses on God's shepherding relationship with His children. Curious about the characteristics of a shepherd, I did some research and was quite surprised at all I discovered.  First, let us read Psalm 23.
Psalm 23

A psalm of David.

1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.

2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 he refreshes my soul.

He guides me along the right paths

for his name’s sake.

4 Even though I walk

through the darkest valley,[a]

I will fear no evil,

for you are with me;

your rod and your staff,

they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me

in the presence of my enemies.

You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows.

6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me

all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the Lord

forever.

I love this Psalm as it paints such a loving, protective picture of our Father and Lord.  In verse one, the Lord is described as our shepherd- what would that entail for a shepherd during Biblical times?  The primary focus of a shepherd during that time was to protect the sheep as well as find plenty of water and food for the animals.  At that time, the sheep were not fed in pens, but had to roam in search of foliage for the sheep to eat.  One source I found indicated that while goats could search out areas for food and find their way back; sheep, however, were not good about doing that and needed help finding food.  Sheep also struggled in finding their way home and often would get lost from the group and had to be found and returned to the group.  The flocks needed to be watered at least once a day, but in many cases water was hours away.  Shepherds would walk the sheep to the water at least once a day in order to let them drink, eat and rest a bit before returning "home".  A shepherd also had to protect their sheep from other animals that would attack the herd.  A dog would often help with this task, but a rod, slingshot and such were also carried to help with that need as well.  Each shepherd would make a guttural type call to his sheep for them to follow him- even if two shepherds were together doing their individual calls, the sheep could tell the difference and find their protector.  The shepherd stayed with his sheep continually, watching and caring for them- even through the night. 

I loved all that I discovered in researching shepherds because so much of it applies to God's relationship with me.  Just as the sheep had to be taken daily to water and food in order to stay healthy, God leads me to His scriptures daily for my spiritual health.  He quiets me in His love as I rest in His presence.  He leads me down the right paths in my life- just as the shepherd had to lead his sheep lest they get lost off from the rest of the group.  Carson brought up the point that sometimes shepherds had to break the leg of an animal that refused to stay with the group because if that sheep kept getting lost, it could be eaten while out of his care.  It hit me that, at times, God has allowed me to face discipline and consequences so that I would stay close to Him and His protection. 

Even when the sheep would face life threatening situations, the shepherd was there to protect them- ever watching and on alert for their needs.  The same is true for our Father, He protects us and provides for our needs.  During those times, He offers us peace, joy and comfort beyond our imagination.  He honors and blesses our faithfulness just as a host would honor and bless a special guest.  His blessings overflow our lives and His love, faithfulness and goodness carry us through this life and into our eternal life with Him- for those who have accepted His free gift of salvation. 

My friend, we are so blessed to have a loving, caring shepherd to watch and care for us.  Never think for a moment that He has forgotten you or the needs you have today.  He is ever aware and already at work in all aspects of your life drawing you closer to Himself.  Listen for his "call" - He will make Himself known to you.  Trust Him and stay close to the shepherd because His protection is sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment