Thursday, June 28, 2012

False Treasures

Not too long ago, our second son and his older brother were outside playing in the cooler evening night and came running into the house full of excitement and joy.  They had discovered priceless jewels that had been carelessly left in the middle of our street!  Who on earth would leave behind such precious jewels?  They were convinced that we were rich!  Upon further inspection, I discovered it was very brightly colored broken pieces of glass- thankfully, it was some sort of safety glass as there were not sharp edges to fear cuts.  I sadly gave them the news that it was not the treasure they had envisioned, but rather discarded garbage in a pretty package.  Disappointed, the older son discarded his treasure and went on playing.

Carson, our second son continued to cling to the bright, green pieces.... it was his treasure and he couldn't understand.  He kept those pieces and put them in his money jar which is a recycled spaghetti sauce jar.  Later, I questioned why he had kept those pieces of glass.  He expressed that it was better to hang on to the "trash jewels" than to not have anything in his money jar.  Even if it was fake treasure, it made his value seem great.

Last night, Carson's money jar spilled and I helped him pick up the pieces.  I carefully picked up each of the green glass pieces and put them back in his jar.... heartbroken as God spoke to my heart- How many times have I clung to false treasures because I just wanted something even if it wasn't real and true?  Oh Lord, forgive me!  We are so easily fooled by outside packages- shiny, attractive, and appealing.  Yet, most of the time those treasures are false- they do not last!  How many times have I kept something false- knowing it wasn't genuine- because I would rather cling to that than have nothing at all?  Oh, forgive me Father!

The only way to know what is real and of value is through wisdom learned in the scriptures with the Holy Spirit giving us discernment.  God, I want that wisdom to know and understand what is of true value for me, for my family.  Help me to seek after that knowledge each day so that I may be fully equipped for the moments that still lie at my feet.  Then, Father, give me the words to express and teach my children so that they, too, can discern what is real and true from what is false and temporary in this world.  Only by your grace can this be done and in your strength can I stand strong!  Help me Father to not cling to the broken glass of the evil one, but seek after real treasure that comes only from you!

" The LORD says, 'I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you."  Psalm 32:8 NLT

" If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."  James 1:5 NIV

"We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true.  And we are in him who is true-even in his Son Jesus Christ.  He is the true God and eternal life."  1John 5:20 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment