Friday, June 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Sacrifice

This morning I retreated to "the chair" where I can sit and seclude myself from the rest of the world to spend some time with my Savior.  This morning, of all mornings, I NEED Him- I need my cup filled so desperately before I face the ongoing needs that have already been clamoring for my attention.  The self-pity begins nagging and pulling at my heart to focus on me and my pride swells....... I need this time to be reminded that I am the daughter of a "Servant King".  The One who is my precious Lord and Savior because He sacrificed all for the sake of all sinners like me- forgive me Father when pride blinds me to your truth.  God directed me to the scriptures....

"What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me?  I'll lift high the cup of salvation-a toast to God!  I'll pray in the name of God; I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it together with his people.  When they arrive at the gates of death, God welcomes those who love him.  Oh, God, here I am, your servant, your faithful servant: set me free for your service!  I'm ready to offer the thanksgiving sacrifice and pray in the name of God.  I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it in the company with his people, In the place of worship, in God's house, in Jerusalem, God's city.  Hallelujah!"  Psalm 116: 12-19 MSG

In embarrassment, I admit that there are times when giving God the thanksgiving and praise He deserves is a sacrifice for me.  Times when my heart is questioning Him and unsure of what He is doing with me, with my life, with my loved ones and my heart wants understanding more than I want a stronger faith.  Have you been at that place, Friend?  There have been times when in tears of fear and hurt, I praised Him in song and thanksgiving- while barely a whisper- it was with all the strength I had within myself.  Why?  Just as our passage shares, when I think of all that God has done for me- how can I not praise Him?  How can I not trust Him?  The moment I begin to praise and thank Him, the stronghold the enemy had begins to ease and fade and my strength in God grows.  It is also in these moments that my heart and pride yields itself to my true Maker and I can yield my will to His becoming free.  Free to do what God has called me to do and to be His faithful servant.

God, in the quiet moments with you in "the chair,"  please help me to yield all to you and praise you- giving all I have to you even if it is barely a whisper... it is my sacrifice of thanksgiving to you, Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment