Thursday, June 21, 2012

Prayers at the feet of Caleb

I have to admit that this morning it was very difficult to get out of bed.  I am tired.  We have been so busy with family and church events in the past week with Kid Power Camp every night and while I absolutely LOVE working with the kids and seeing them learn, I am tired today.  So, I poured a cup of coffee and nestled in my comfy chair and opened the book of life - ready and expecting some fresh life-giving insight to fill me and help me walk through this day.  Praise music from Pandora on my phone and I read and prayed.

I felt a pull to pray over Caleb.  Caleb, our oldest, is going on his first mission trip this next week.  He had to meet several requirements through our church over the past semester to be eligible to attend and has been meeting with the children's pastor over the past week for additional training.  He will be teaching other kids about Christ at various locations over the metroplex where the kids can come and play games, sing songs, make crafts and hear about God.  Over the past week, I have found Caleb's teaching book in bed with him several times where he fell asleep studying and preparing himself for this next week.  He told me last night that he was sad that he didn't have training today- this work and preparation is a joy to him.  He loves sharing and teaching about Christ.... and this morning God told me to pray over him.

I called him to my room and had him sit in my comfy chair.  I knelt at his feet and began to pray for him, for his leaders, and for the children he will teach.  As I prayed, the song, "God of this City", began to play on the Pandora station.  Suddenly, tears flowed and I wept- not tears of sadness, but of joy.  He couldn't understand the tears.... "I will be fine Mom.  I am ready- I have studied.  Pastor Derek will be there," he said. 

How could he understand the inner workings of this mother's heart?  While we struggle through this journey of parenting, at times, seeing my child so eager to go and serve his King, his Savior, his Lord poured out emotions that I still struggle to explain.  I admire Caleb for his bravery to leave us this next week to go and give of himself at such a young, tender age when sometimes I struggle to walk across the street.  I admire his passion and conviction- he is not perfect- sometimes he drives us nuts!  However, when he talks about God, there is a fire, passion and an articulation that is from the Father.... He truly loves God.  He, like most of us, is just struggling to walk out his faith each day.  How could I explain in words the emotions pouring forth from my heart while sitting at my son's feet?  "I am just proud of you, Caleb.  So very proud of you," I whispered.  We hugged and he walked out with a faint smile on his lips.  I am not a perfect mother- I fail countless times a day and I grow tired and weary in the process.... but, if each of my sons chooses to live a life serving Christ and honor Him with their lifestyle, I will have been successful. 

I knelt to pray at Caleb's feet to bless him, but I received a blessing in abundance.   I have found energy and renewal through God giving me a glimpse of why I am here as a mother.... I am here to share HIM with them.... to water and nurture that growth in their hearts and minds.  I may be the mother of world changers- that would be my prayer- this I do know, they have already changed my world, my perspective of God and how He views me.  Thank you God, that sometimes our children can be our teachers.... even when unaware of the lesson! 

I hope to share a prayer list for Caleb and his friend, Matthew, as they are away serving next week.  Would you consider joining me as I pray for them daily?  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment