Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rock Solid



As a mother of boys, one thing I am very familiar with is rocks.  Some of you are laughing because you totally understand what I am talking about!  My boys have always loved rocks- looking at them, throwing them, building with them, collecting them, and so forth.  We have painted rocks that they made while at the ranch recently and small polished rocks that they have purchased and dirty asphalt pieces that they thought looked like rocks!  I have learned to appreciate that my boys can distinguish which rocks are good for each task they might want to do.  For example, you need a large mostly-flat rock for painting, a small flat rock for skipping on water and varying sizes of rocks for building.  It amazes me that they can find such purpose in rocks!

This morning I read this scripture and it really made me think....
"And he said: 'The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; the God of my strength, in whom I will trust."  2 Samuel 22:2-3a NKJV
Rocks are hard, firm, durable, and lasting.  In times of trouble, doubt, fear, questioning, anxiety, and need I want to cling to something firm, durable, and lasting- I want to cling to something that is secure and stable.  I love that God is compared to a rock- but I don't think it is the kind of rock that my boys play with but rather a large mountain- mountains are just big rocks, right?

In times of need, cling to the ROCK... to the mountain of God - He is firm, unshakable and lasting.  He will be your fortress in times of need and deliver you.  He will be your strength when you have none and He is absolutely trustworthy.  Glory!  Catherine Marshall once said, " If your every human plan and calculation has miscarried, if, one by one, human props have been knocked out...take heart.  God is trying to get a message through to you, and the message is: 'Stop depending on inadequate human resources.  Let me handle the matter.'"    In other words, cling to the ROCK - God -who is solid, firm, steady and will make your steps sure.  Trust Him and look forward in hope at all He is capable of doing in you and through you.  Eventually, you will stand on that rock in victory praising Him for the resolution and restoration that only He can bring.  I don't know where you might be today... are you clinging to Him in need or standing on Him rejoicing?  Either way, I am thankful for His solid rock....

No comments:

Post a Comment