Saturday, June 2, 2012

Where is the Rewind Button?

On Thursday, I was running some errands, and had to stop and drop off a bill locally.  Since it would take me all of 10 seconds, I pulled in the drive and hopped out of the car to place the bill in a deposit box and just as I was getting out of the car I heard a testimony on the radio that interested me.  I quickly returned to the car, but missed some important details of the testimony and was somewhat irritated at myself for not just waiting the few seconds to hear it.  I thought about Carson and one day he had asked me to rewind the radio because he wanted to hear a song again.  I could identify with his feelings right at that moment.

It hit me as I continued how much of a 'rewind' society we live in- we live in such a digital world that television, music, and videos can all be played again in the matter of pressing a button.  I had such a time on the day Carson wanted me to play that song again on the radio explaining why I couldn't do that for him.  He pointed out that even the radio had rewind or go back buttons.... how could it not work?

In life, we can't always rewind, huh?  Some decisions, words or actions just can't be taken back or done differently.  The sad thing is that we treat our world as though we can do a cosmic rewind and just ignore our missteps.  Society tells us to "follow our heart" and "believe in yourself" and if you do these things you can overcome anything.... and, if by chance you messed up- don't worry- you can always figure something out to start over.  How is this working out for our society? 

I believe God absolutely gives us freedom of choice in regards to our actions, and I believe He is fully capable of using all of our decisions- whether good or bad- to bring glory to Himself.  I also believe, however, that sometimes the consequences of our actions will still have to be dealt with and addressed.  Someone who has abused their body with drugs and alcohol may change their life and choose to live a life honoring the Father, but they may deal with the affects of that abuse on their body for years.  The consequence of an unplanned pregnancy will have lasting ripples in the lives that are touched- no matter what decision is made- life will not be the same afterward.  Even words spoken in anger against another cannot be taken back- forgiveness can be sought and received but a mark in the memory remains. 

I think, as a Christian, this helps me to understand why my decisions are so important.  God can and will use anything, including my failures, for His glory to teach me to be tender, more compliant, and less judgemental of others.  I also believe that He rejoices when I take the time to think through my actions and do my best to honor Him with my decisions.  The realization that some decisions will have lasting consequences should make me more alert and on guard against the enemy- he is seeking to destroy believers. Nothing pleases the evil one more than to destroy the testimony of one who professes Christ.

I read this Beth Moore quote, today, during my quiet time, "The biggest sacrifices of our lives will be those times when we chose our own way and forfeited God's pleasing will for us."

We all have failed.  We all have forfeited God's pleasing will for us in something.  So, we need to understand that loving restoration is a part of all of our lives and as believers, we need to cast a hand to help rather than casting a glance of superiority.  Let us live with focus and determination to honor Him and build each other up with encouragement and support because we are all just a decision away from wishing we could rewind a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment