Thursday, June 14, 2012

What is that beep?

Normally, my posts tend to take a more serious approach as I share what God has really put on my heart through my Bible study each day.  I hope that sharing my growing process blesses many of you as well.  I have to also share, however, how much I truly love laughing.... if you know my family personally, you know that laughter carries me through many a difficult moment! 

On Tuesday, I went to the cardiologist and finally picked up the heart monitor that I am suppose to wear for the next month.  I have to admit that I was really excited as I am hopeful that it will help the doctor figure out what is going on with my heart.  However, it has been quite an adventure.... a humorous one.  First, this monitor records what my heart is doing while I wear it, and when I feel something I press a button to "mark" that I felt whatever occurred at that moment....  easy, right?  It is easy, but when I press the button to "mark" a symptom, a loud beeping sound starts and lasts for about 30 seconds.  Any vision I had of being discrete has been lost as it can be heard across the house.  Now, if any alarm sounds in the house all the boys look at me- " No, it isn't me this time.  I think the oven timer is beeping."   Ugh!  Can you imagine how much fun this will be at church? 

If I have any heart event "marked", the monitor sounds a short ringing tone to remind me that I have an event recorded.  So, in the middle of any conversation I could assault you with a ringing tone.... "Sorry, that is just my monitor.... carry on!"  It is really funny when others check their phone after it sounds.... oops! 

After several events have been recorded, I have to call a 1-800 number and "send" my heart recordings to them over the phone.... to do this I have to hold the monitor up to the phone while it emits a loud- let me stress LOUD- fax-like sounding over to the center.  So, the first night I was trying to send it over the phone and Reagan was in the next room.  When I began sending it, it was so loud I thought the boys might wake up.  Reagan began yelling across the house, "Honey, can't you mute that thing?"  Afraid to answer in case it might mess up what was being sent, I didn't say anything..... after several minutes, Reagan came running in the room afraid I was in cardiac arrest as the monitor was blaring and I was not answering him!  Ha!  Poor fellow.... he was pretty understanding when I finally explained!

I also have to share that many other needed tasks have become more challenging since getting this monitor.... getting dressed around attached cords and not to mention restroom trips..... anyhoo, let's just say I have to think through the process more! 

Kendall has decided that pulling on the cords is a good way of getting my attention when he needs something- which it does get my attention for sure! 

Honestly, things are going well and I bet there will be plenty of laughter in the next month as I continue to adjust... thanks again for your prayers!  Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

  1. Love your take on even the humorous things in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This def had me laughing out loud! Laughter truly is the best medicine and I love the strength you are showing through this heart issues process. I've been praying healing for you since Charity shared with me.

    ReplyDelete