Monday, June 25, 2012

Worship in Service

Note:  Thank you so much for your prayers for Matthew and Caleb!  Please keep it up- today, they are starting to minister at an apartment complex in Fort Worth which has 244 units.  All the LIT missionaries will be serving over 30 apartment complexes this week.  Both the boys will be teaching and leading the Bible study on certain days.

Have you ever had a day when you just had a stinky attitude?  Most of us have, and most of us don't want to admit it!  On Friday, I was tired... no, exhausted.  Our family attended and served at Kid Power Camp through our church.  This is very much like a VBS, but with less decorations and more focus on reaching out into the community and we even had two camps going this past week- one in Joshua and one in Burleson.  It was awesome to see the teamwork and organization that it took to pull off such a thing.  Our church really stepped up to reach out to the community we serve. 

Friday, however, I was worn out and my attitude was not what it should have been.  That is partly why I felt God leading me to give Him a praise sacrifice and worship Him when I may not have felt up to it that day.  Through some time of purposeful solitude over the weekend, God really blessed me as I pondered the service to others as worship of our Lord.  Most of us will readily admit that we need times of being fed and nurtured by Bible study and praise.  I see that we all need the one on one time of studying His word daily, times of discussion and accountability as we study God's word in a small group session, as well as the beautiful corporate worship of the Father together as a group of believers.  Each of these times is important and serves a vital need in our walk- if any of these is lacking, our walk is probably lacking as well.... or we are at least, not where we could be in our walk with Christ.  I have seen this in my own life- I need the opportunity to worship each morning, in my small group and as a large body of believers to really feel healthy, balanced, and prepared for the journey I am on. 

Then, I reflected on service.... this is harder for most of us.  I think the difficulty is in finding the balance in our service.  Some Christians are fed through their quiet times, fed through their small group, and fed through worship each Sunday and yet never serve.  This is so sad.... to have such wonderful knowledge and yet, never use it and give of ourselves to truly taste and see God in action.  I think service is where we really witness God working and using us to be a part of His work.  Others, can sometimes serve, serve, serve and yet, never take the time to be fed.  They are so busy giving of their time and energy, but are never still before God to be filled in order to serve.  Countless others of us are somewhere in between - lost in the mire of it all.

In my weakness on Friday, it was easy for me to lose sight of why I serve.  I got caught up in how much time I had given up at church this week and all that I still had to do for the weekend and my attitude was self-focused rather than God-focused.  God really convicted and reminded me that when I am teaching a class of two year olds, corraling the three year olds or rocking a baby- I am actually sharing Christ with them.  In the moments when I am loving, respecting, caring for them and telling them about God,  I am serving as the physical arms of God for that moment.  He is using me to bring comfort, joy, and knowledge to those precious children for that time and place.  I am also ministering to parents, who like me, need support to grow and learn in order to be the parents that God wants us to be.  It isn't work, it is worship and it is seeing God use me- this feeible fallible person- to be the feet, arms and words of my faith.  It is a privilege.... a special calling- not a dreaded task to complete.

I am not saying, however, that I need to serve in every ministry in the church.... absolutely not!  That is why we are the body of Christ so that others can serve in areas where I am not strong.  I am called to minister and serve with the preschool children- I truly love it.  There is no worship experience any greater to me than when I hear a two year old- yes, two year old, quote a scripture from memory.  I tear up even thinking about it... God's word living and breathing in a child so tender and young.  This is where I am called, but the preschool area is not for everyone!  I love my husband dearly, but serving with the preschool age kids is NOT where he is called.  He serves faithfully in the areas where he is called and finds such joy in it that when he has to miss his time of service- it grieves him. 

So, my friend, where are you today?  Are you serving in some area or just being fed continually?  If that is the case, please consider what God might be calling you to do- I promise that your faith will grow through the experience and you will be blessed!  If you are serving, are you taking the time to be fed?  You cannot continue to serve without being fed- you will wither and the service will not be a blessing in your life.  You can only serve as an outpouring of what you have been  fed by your relationship with God.  Also, are you finding joy in service?  Is it just a task to do and get done or is it your passion?  If you find no joy in where you are serving, then  perhaps, it isn't where you are called to serve.....  maybe God has something different for you. 

"For you, dear friends, have been called to live in freedom- not freedom to satisfy your sinful nature, but freedom to serve one another in love.  For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"  Galations 5: 13-14 NLT

"Don't just pretend that you love others.  Really love them.  Hate what is wrong.  Stand on the side of the good.  Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.  Never be lazy in your work, but serve the Lord enthusiastically."  Romans 12: 9-11 NLT

Our life is too short to miss out on the blessing of service in our walk or to be serving in a place that brings no joy.  God has given us freedom IN  HIM so that we can be used BY  HIM for a special calling- tailor made just for you - making you the hands and feet of our Lord with an eternal impact on the lives you touch.  Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment