Monday, June 18, 2012

The Need for Security

Right now, parenting in our house is not a job for the weak.  We currently  have a twelve year old who is really beginning to explore the teen hood he sees on the horizon as well as a two year old who has discovered the feeling of power when he tells us, "No!".  We also have a six year old who, feeling caught in the middle, is testing our love for him.  I love each of my boys for their uniqueness and varying strengths, but I will also share that this season of parenthood is exhausting.  Can you relate? 

As I studied the scriptures this morning, it hit me how each of them is testing and longing for security.  Caleb, our oldest, is wanting to spread his wings a little to test how they work, and yet he still wants the security that he has found in us, as his parents.  Kendall, our youngest, does love the feeling he gets when he tells me no or disobeys, but honestly, he is longing for me to correct him and show him security in holding him accountable.  The disobedience is but a test to see if I love him enough to correct and hold him accountable... it is the need for security.  Carson, our middle son, is feeling a little lost right now.  He knows that we love him, but he doesn't get the freedoms of his older brother or the attention of his younger brother.  He is searching to make sure that his place, his value hasn't been lost.... he needs the security of knowing that he will always have value in our family.

As I thought about all of this, I see some of these same issues in my relationship with the Father.  Especially as a woman, I long for security.  I want to know that my home, my children, my spouse's love, my finances, my plans, and my value is secure.  Change often scares me.  I don't like feeling things are outside of my control and my core need is security- I want love, but when I really think through it, I want a secure love- a love that does not fade or leave. 

As I think of my world, the truth is that the only thing truly secure is my relationship with the Father through Christ.  Everything else in this world will fade and pass with time..... while my husband and I love each other deeply and are rooted in Christ, I know that we will not live forever and there is a chance that one of us will have to live alone before we are reunited in heaven.  I also realize that time will change my relationship with my sons and their paths will lead them away from home.  My house, our finances, and all the things of this world could change in a heartbeat.... there is no real security in them anyway.  The Father... that is where my security is found.  He will not pass, He will not forget me, His love is for eternity, and I have a future and hope in Him.  I read this quote from Beth Moore, " All our lives God retains the strong feelings toward us that infants evoke in their parents.  He never has to let us go."  I love that, and it rings true- we are that important to the Father!

"You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take rest in safety.  You will lie down, with no one to make you afraid, and many will court your favor."  Job 11:18-19 NIV

..."Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in him for he shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between his shoulders."  Deuteronomy 33:12 NIV

"The Lord is my light and my salvation- whom shall I fear?" Psalms 27:1 NIV

Through my security and peace in the Father, I can bring security to my children as they search and long for it in their various ways- all the while, pointing them to the true security source.  Maybe something in your world feels overwhelming or too much for you today.  God is your security in that matter- nothing is too great for Him and He cares about the smallest details in our life.  Rest in your security- the Father- today, my friend.  Draw on the ultimate source of peace, joy, and grace.... and savor His sweet security! 

No comments:

Post a Comment