Tuesday, June 12, 2012

An Anchor for our Souls

             

This morning I read the scripture from Hebrews 6:18-19 which says, "So God has given us both his promise and his oath.  These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie.  Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can take new courage, for we can hold on to his promise with confidence.  This confidence is like a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.  It leads us through the curtain of heaven into God's inner sanctuary." (NLT)

I have had to read it several times today as it is so descriptive and has so much encouragement for us who are in Christ.   First let your mind try to comprehend that God does NOT lie... that is a rare commodity in this world, huh?  His word and His promises are true- they do not fail us.  Has God always done everything I wanted?  No.  Has He failed me? No.  Often times, situations I have faced did not work out how I wanted them to, but often I reflect back with a broader perspective and understand why my preference wasn't really what was best for the situation.  Also, in those times of waiting, He grows me and stretches my faith through life lessons best taught by trial.  Knowing that God holds to His word and promises, gives us courage in the midst of the trial- even when things seem bleak, we know- we KNOW- He never fails us.  We can hold on to His promise with confidence!

Sometimes, we cling to His word and that confidence in Him because that is all we have left.  I have been at that place a few times.  The world seems upside down and I have lost confidence in many things and I am just clinging to Him- desperate for Christ to hold me steady while my world seems to be spinning out of control.  Have you been there?  Most of us have at some point in our faith.  "This confidence is like a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls....."  (Hebrews 6:18a)  I love that word picture.  On a boat, the only way for the boat to not float off from certain point with the current is for the anchor to be put down- the weight of the anchor holds the ship steadfast against the current.  That is what our confidence in God and His promises does for us- they hold us steady against the current of this world and keep us on point with Him.  Glory!  When our world is rocked by life, He is our anchor and keeps us safe and secure from all that would pull us away from God. 

This confidence we have through our relationship with God through Christ allows us to enter His inner sanctuary and bring all requests to Him.  Before Christ, only the priests were allowed into the inner sanctuary to pray for the people of God.  At the moment of Christ's death on the cross, the veil dividing the inner and outer sanctuaries was torn in two giving us the freedom to go to God in prayer without mediation.  Never underestimate that precious gift- the gift of approaching God's throne at anytime, anywhere pleading our heart before our King!! 

My friend, I need this reminder.  Sometimes, there is just a subtle current trying to drift me away from Him, and sometimes it is a raging storm and I am clinging to the anchor holding me to God.  I need to know each day that His promises are true, faithful and dependable.... I need Him- every day of my life, I need Him. 

Do you need an anchor today?  Is life's current pulling at you?  Cling, my friend, to the anchor of your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment