Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Tale of Two Fathers

Two fathers in particular have shaped and molded my beliefs, thoughts, dreams, and perspectives on life- the father given to me at birth and the father given to me in marriage.  I do believe they were given to me- as two precious gifts from "The Father" to teach me how precious and priceless good fatherhood is in a person's life.

The first father says we first met as I was being wheeled out of a labor and delivery room in Dublin, Texas and I was sucking on my entire fist.  I won his heart.  As a toddler, he would often hold and cuddle me as we watched television, but honestly, I just wanted to be near him.  One night, I was having a hard time going to sleep, and he let me get up and watch part of a show with him (He also let me have a little sip or two of Pepsi, but don't tell my mom!  Shhh....). 

The summer before I started Kindergarten, my dad with the help of his dad and brothers, built our family house.  They poured the foundation, did the framing, electrical, plumbing, drywall, and flooring...... my uncle did all the cabinetry.  The hours he worked were insane..... but he did it for his family.  Some of the days he worked all day at his paying job and then went and worked on the house until midnight or later.

When I started Kindergarten, he walked me to class every morning.... in the beginning I was frightened and even though he had countless things to do before he taught his classes, he would comfort me first.  He even promised me a prize if I could make it all day when I was struggling exceptionally, and he honored that - I went home wearing a Pepsi Cola necklace proudly that day as a badge of my courage. 

Countless nights in my childhood, my dad would come home from one job (teaching) and would leave to go do an electrical job in the evenings.  He didn't just talk about working hard- he lived it.  He taught me to drive, told me to do my best when a challenge came, attended every one act play competition I was in, and held me when I cried through disappointments.  He loved me.... through actions and words.  He is the rock and strength of our family- I knew love, safety, honor, and blessings through his deeds.

The second father came into my life when I met his son.  He greeted me with open arms and welcomed me into his home and heart.  He has never treated me as anything, but his daughter and has cried, pleaded, and prayed for me countless times to "The Father".  He too, is a hard worker who puts in countless hours for his family and taking time to teach and train the future generation of his family.  He will drive halfway across the state to be there for our family in times of need and celebration- love in action.  I have witnessed this father weeping over the things of God - broken and ready to serve.  He esteems us in words and shows us our value in his deeds.  He loved me enough to give me one of his sons and draw me into a close, loving family.

These two fathers have taught me so much, but more than anything they taught me to live what I believe- church wasn't just a Sunday thing.  Christ is their life and it is their relationship with Him that affects all decisions, words and actions.  "No, O people, the LORD has told you what is good and this is what he requires of you: to do what is right, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."  Micah 6:8 NLT  These two fathers reflect this kind of character.  I could not ask for two better fathers, grandfathers and friends in my life.... I love them and I would not be the same person I am today without their love and influence.

Happy Father's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment